Carnival Cruise Ship Crashes Into Manhattan Dock
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carnival Cruise Line’s new ship, Carnival Horizon, hit a New York City dock on Tuesday night as it was ending an eight-night trip at sea.
The 1,055-foot-long ship crashed into Manhattan’s Pier 90 when attempting to dock at the city’s Pier 88 harbor. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
New York’s Department of Buildings was called to the scene to inspect the stability of the port. Reports say that the Carnival Horizon “damaged two metal support beams and a small section of the parking level above,” buildings rep Andrew Rudansky told the New York Post. The US Coast Guard said it would also be investigating the cause of the incident.
Carnival says the bow of the ship sustained only minor damages.
“There has been no impact to our debarkation process this morning and embarkation for today’s sailing is expected to proceed as normal,” a spokesperson for the cruise line told the Post. “Assessments of the pier are currently underway. The US Coast Guard and other authorities have been notified.”
The 3,960-passenger ship first set sail in May. It currently operates cruises from New York to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos. Carnival plans to move the Carnival Horizon to Miami in the near future and offer more Caribbean trips based out of the south Florida port.
Featured image by Kelly Banks via The New York Post.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees