Carnival Cruise Ship Crashes Into Manhattan Dock
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carnival Cruise Line’s new ship, Carnival Horizon, hit a New York City dock on Tuesday night as it was ending an eight-night trip at sea.
The 1,055-foot-long ship crashed into Manhattan’s Pier 90 when attempting to dock at the city’s Pier 88 harbor. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
New York’s Department of Buildings was called to the scene to inspect the stability of the port. Reports say that the Carnival Horizon “damaged two metal support beams and a small section of the parking level above,” buildings rep Andrew Rudansky told the New York Post. The US Coast Guard said it would also be investigating the cause of the incident.
Carnival says the bow of the ship sustained only minor damages.
“There has been no impact to our debarkation process this morning and embarkation for today’s sailing is expected to proceed as normal,” a spokesperson for the cruise line told the Post. “Assessments of the pier are currently underway. The US Coast Guard and other authorities have been notified.”
The 3,960-passenger ship first set sail in May. It currently operates cruises from New York to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos. Carnival plans to move the Carnival Horizon to Miami in the near future and offer more Caribbean trips based out of the south Florida port.
Featured image by Kelly Banks via The New York Post.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.