You can now cancel British Airways bookings for free even if made before pandemic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has extended its “book with confidence” policy to keep up with the huge travel disruption caused by the coronavirus and the ever-changing global restrictions and quarantine regulations that come with it.
In a post on Instagram, the airline stated: “All existing bookings due to travel by 10 January 2021 now benefit from flexible changes.”
The keyword in this message is “all”. Let’s look into what that actually means.
View this post on Instagram
Our flexible change policy has been extended to cover all customers due to travel until 10 January 2021. To find out more about exchanging your booking for a voucher and changing your travel plans due to the ongoing #COVID19 uncertainty, visit ba.com/confidence
A post shared by British Airways (@british_airways) on
In an update earlier in October, the airline extended the time period on changeable tickets to any new flight and holiday bookings made from March 3 to October 13. Now, the initiative has been extended to cover all bookings from March 3 to no fixed date — meaning if you make a booking today, tomorrow or in the near future, according to this update, you will incur no fees when making changes to your booking — other than any difference in fare, of course.
Now, the best update, if you made a booking before March 3 — and well before the pandemic had started — you are now able to cancel it and you’ll receive a Future Travel Voucher for the value of the booking as long as you were due to travel before January 10, 2021.
This means that for people who booked travel well in advance for this year’s Christmas and New Year period, they are now able to cancel their bookings if they choose to do so. Interestingly, tickets before March 3 can’t be changed, just canceled.
The vouchers don’t need to be used until April 30, 2022, meaning that there’s plenty of time to spend them.
Even more flexibility means that if you booked travel with British Airways before March 3, 2020 and are due to travel by January 10, 2021 you can cancel your booking for free and receive vouchers with validity until April 20, 2022. If you made your booking after March 3 and you’re due to travel before August 30, 2021, you can still cancel your booking and receive a voucher.
Featured image by @byhafes via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.