This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever taken the scenic route between Los Angeles and San Fransisco then Highway 1, better known as Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) or “The One,” should sound familiar — it’s one of the most iconic highways for road-tripping in the US. A portion of it has been closed for over a year, but that’s not the case anymore.
A massive 75-acre landslide in May 2017 demolished a quarter mile stretch of Highway 1 between Big Sur and Monterey. The coastal stretch quickly became buried beneath 6 million tons of debris and was forced to be closed off.
$1 billion and 14 months later, the coastal highway is now fully open again.
Some towns have been cut off almost entirely during the closure and have taken major hits economically. Businesses that relied heavily on folks passing through were isolated.
“Highway 1 is the only reason this community exists,” Kirk Gafill, the general manager of the local Nepenthe Restaurant, told the Wall Street Journal. “Absent Highway 1, this would be a wilderness area.”
Although this route makes the trip up and down the coast longer, its sweeping views high above the shimmering Pacific Ocean make up for it.
Featured image by Maria Fuchs / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards