This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest operator of the Airbus A380 is celebrating its 10th anniversary with the world’s largest commercial jet. Since its inaugural flight from Dubai to New York on August 1, 2008, Emirates has transported more than 105 million passengers over more than 930 million miles on 115,000 flights — enough to go around the globe 39,000 times.
The 105 A380s in the current Emirates fleet transport travelers between 50 different cities on six continents, with more than 80 daily departures from the Emirates hub at Dubai International Airport (DXB). Unique routes include the world’s shortest A380 flight as well as one of the world’s longest nonstop routes, between Dubai and Auckland, New Zealand. With an additional 57 A380 aircraft on order from Airbus, Emirates is easily the largest client of the A380 program, and was widely hailed as the A380’s savior earlier this year when the airline placed a huge order for up to 36 planes, worth a retail price tag of $16 billion. If Emirates follows through on all of its optioned aircraft, the Middle East carrier could own up to 162 A380s. The total likely won’t come to that since a few older models will be retired, but the fact remains: Emirates alone accounts for almost half of the entire A380 order book, which stands at 332. (The plane, while a remarkable engineering achievement, has not been a commercial success.)
The A380 earns its outsize reputation in more ways than one. The four-engine double-decker giant measures 239 feet from nose to tail, clocking in at 1.27 million pounds at maximum takeoff weight. The planes typically ferry around 500 people for long-haul distances up to 9,000 miles.
Here are some fascinating Emirates A380 stats, by the numbers:
- 10 – years since Emirates took delivery of its inaugural Airbus A380
- 105 – number of A380s in the current Emirates fleet
- 57 – A380s on order with Airbus
- 50 – destinations to which Emirates A380s fly
- 115,000 – Emirates A380 flights completed since 2008
- 932,000,000 – Emirates miles flown in A380s
- 80 – more than 80 daily A380 departures from Dubai
- 105,000,000 – number of passengers who have traveled on an Emirates A380
- 1,500 – more than 1,500 pilots are employed by Emirates to fly A380s
- 23,000 – more than 23,000 cabin crew service Emirates A380s
- 615 – number of passengers the Emirates A380 carries in the high-density layout, the most of any plane
- 1,400 – there are more than 1,400 First Class suites across the entire Emirates A380 fleet
- 120,000,000 – more than 120 million meals served on board
Featured photo by Alberto Riva for The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees