This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest operator of the Airbus A380 is celebrating its 10th anniversary with the world’s largest commercial jet. Since its inaugural flight from Dubai to New York on August 1, 2008, Emirates has transported more than 105 million passengers over more than 930 million miles on 115,000 flights — enough to go around the globe 39,000 times.
The 105 A380s in the current Emirates fleet transport travelers between 50 different cities on six continents, with more than 80 daily departures from the Emirates hub at Dubai International Airport (DXB). Unique routes include the world’s shortest A380 flight as well as one of the world’s longest nonstop routes, between Dubai and Auckland, New Zealand. With an additional 57 A380 aircraft on order from Airbus, Emirates is easily the largest client of the A380 program, and was widely hailed as the A380’s savior earlier this year when the airline placed a huge order for up to 36 planes, worth a retail price tag of $16 billion. If Emirates follows through on all of its optioned aircraft, the Middle East carrier could own up to 162 A380s. The total likely won’t come to that since a few older models will be retired, but the fact remains: Emirates alone accounts for almost half of the entire A380 order book, which stands at 332. (The plane, while a remarkable engineering achievement, has not been a commercial success.)
The A380 earns its outsize reputation in more ways than one. The four-engine double-decker giant measures 239 feet from nose to tail, clocking in at 1.27 million pounds at maximum takeoff weight. The planes typically ferry around 500 people for long-haul distances up to 9,000 miles.
Here are some fascinating Emirates A380 stats, by the numbers:
- 10 – years since Emirates took delivery of its inaugural Airbus A380
- 105 – number of A380s in the current Emirates fleet
- 57 – A380s on order with Airbus
- 50 – destinations to which Emirates A380s fly
- 115,000 – Emirates A380 flights completed since 2008
- 932,000,000 – Emirates miles flown in A380s
- 80 – more than 80 daily A380 departures from Dubai
- 105,000,000 – number of passengers who have traveled on an Emirates A380
- 1,500 – more than 1,500 pilots are employed by Emirates to fly A380s
- 23,000 – more than 23,000 cabin crew service Emirates A380s
- 615 – number of passengers the Emirates A380 carries in the high-density layout, the most of any plane
- 1,400 – there are more than 1,400 First Class suites across the entire Emirates A380 fleet
- 120,000,000 – more than 120 million meals served on board
Featured photo by Alberto Riva for The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees