Partial Jet Bridge Collapse at BWI Injures Six Passengers
Southwest Airlines flight 822 from Punta Cana arrived at Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) with a reported sick passenger on board. Paramedics were on scene when the plane reached the gate. As the unwell passenger was escorted from the aircraft by medical personnel, the jet bridge connected to the aircraft experienced what BWI is calling a “partial equipment failure”. Other passengers on board describe hearing a loud bang as the jet bridge seems to have partially collapsed. It’s not clear at this point what caused the failure.
In a statement to TPG via email, a spokesperson for Southwest confirmed details of the incident, saying:
At 7:47pm EST Saturday evening, Southwest flight 822 arrived Baltimore-Washington International Airport from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, with a request that paramedics meet the aircraft to assess one passenger involved in an onboard medical situation inflight. While medical personnel were assisting that passenger outside the aircraft, the airport-owned passenger loading bridge experienced a failure. Initial reports are that a few people sustained injuries and are being transported to a local hospital. The remaining Customers onboard flight 822 were deplaned using air stairs. We are working swiftly to assist all passengers and Crew.
The failure led six people to be taken to the hospital. BWI says they are investigating the failure of the jet bridge. The plane was eventually moved to another gate.
BWI says that Gate E-10 will remain closed until the investigation into accident is concluded. The airport is reporting normal operations at this time and says the closure of the gate will not impact flight operations.
This post has been updated with a statement from Southwest Airlines. TPG has reached out to BWI for comment but did not hear back upon publication.
Featured Photo by DANIEL SLIM/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.