Buzz-Worthy: Swarm of 20,000 Bees Nest in Plane’s Engine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A swarm of bees are creating quite the buzz for Mango Airlines. Apparently, the bees, which numbered close to 20,000 according to Newsweek, decided to build a nest — not in the forest or field — but in the carrier’s plane engine. Mango Airlines tweeted the photo below on Sunday of an aircraft at the King Shaka International Airport (DUR) in Durban, South Africa, stating that two beekeepers had to be brought in to deal with the, err, sticky situation.
Mango Airlines spokesman Sergio dos Santos weighed in saying, “This is incredibly rare. I have certainly never seen anything like this in my eight years in the aviation industry.”
According to Mango Airlines, no bees, which reportedly moved into the engine in “less than 25 minutes,” were harmed in the removal process. Three planes worth of passengers, however, felt the sting of flight delays due to the infestation.
No word on why or how the bees ended up nesting in an airplane, although maybe they were swayed by airline’s reference to the sweet-as-honey mango fruit.
Photo by Chris Hondros/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees