Buzz-Worthy: Swarm of 20,000 Bees Nest in Plane’s Engine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A swarm of bees are creating quite the buzz for Mango Airlines. Apparently, the bees, which numbered close to 20,000 according to Newsweek, decided to build a nest — not in the forest or field — but in the carrier’s plane engine. Mango Airlines tweeted the photo below on Sunday of an aircraft at the King Shaka International Airport (DUR) in Durban, South Africa, stating that two beekeepers had to be brought in to deal with the, err, sticky situation.
Mango Airlines spokesman Sergio dos Santos weighed in saying, “This is incredibly rare. I have certainly never seen anything like this in my eight years in the aviation industry.”
According to Mango Airlines, no bees, which reportedly moved into the engine in “less than 25 minutes,” were harmed in the removal process. Three planes worth of passengers, however, felt the sting of flight delays due to the infestation.
No word on why or how the bees ended up nesting in an airplane, although maybe they were swayed by airline’s reference to the sweet-as-honey mango fruit.
Photo by Chris Hondros/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.