You can now buy your way to JetBlue Mosaic status for 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the end of the year approaching, JetBlue is bringing back the opportunity to purchase Mosaic status. Through Dec. 31, 2019, you can buy the Mosaic-qualifying points needed in order to (re)qualify for Mosaic status through the end of 2020 — either for yourself or as a gift for someone else. And while it could seem like an easy way to get to Mosaic, it might not necessarily be the best deal for you, especially if you have a long way to go.
In order to qualify for Mosaic status, you need either 15,000 base flight points, or 30 segments and 12,000 base flight points. You can log into your TrueBlue account to see how many segments and base flight points you’ve earned this calendar year.
If you’re just a little bit short and you’re planning to utilize Mosaic status in 2020, it could be worth topping off your account. However, if you still have a ways to go, this isn’t going to be a good deal.
Let’s look at how the cost per point breaks down based on the number of base flight points needed:
|Base Points||Per Point||Total Cost|
If you have no base flight points and are hoping to buy your way entirely to Mosaic status by purchasing 15,000 points, you’ll pay a whopping $5,550 plus $416 in taxes for a total of $5,966.
As a point of comparison, we value Mosaic status at $1,885 — and that’s only if you’re able to maximize the perks. The likelihood of maximizing the Mosaic perks if you’ve obtained zero base flight points for the entirety of 2019 is pretty small — unless, of course, you’re planning on changing your travel patterns altogether for 2020.
Where this opportunity to buy Mosaic could represent a decent value is if you’re just a few hundred (or even thousand) points shy of earning status. Say, for example, you’re 250 base flight points short — you could buy up to Mosaic status for $48 after taxes. Note that you can only make one purchase, so if you’re going to take advantage, be sure you’re getting the full number of base points needed for status.
If you do want to take advantage of this offer, you can do so on the Points.com site. Also note that you won’t earn additional points on your JetBlue Plus Card or JetBlue Card for this purchase, as it’s not processed directly through JetBlue.
Additional reporting by Emily McNutt. Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees