This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of my favorite family-friendly airline promotions where up to eight kids can fly ‘free’ on SAS with the purchase of a paid adult ticket has returned with a whole bunch of valid travel dates well into 2019. With this promo, up to eight kids pay just taxes and fees with the purchase of one adult ticket to Scandinavia…
One of the best airline promotions for larger families looking to cross the pond (and perhaps chase the Northern Lights) has officially returned. Until December 10, 2018, you can book an adult ticket from the US to Scandinavia on Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) and children aged 11 years and under can travel with that paid adult for a $0 base fare!
Buy Adult Ticket to Scandinavia, Get up to 8 Kids “Free”
With this unique promo, with one paid adult ticket, up to eight children can travel for just the cost of taxes and fees from SAS’ seven US gateways — Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark, San Francisco, and Washington DC to Sweden, Denmark, Norway, or Finland. Taxes and fees for children on these routes are often around $60 per round-trip and the deal is valid in SAS Go or SAS Plus classes. This time around, the valid travel dates span from January 8 – April 2, 2019.
For those not familiar with SAS, SAS Go is regular economy and SAS Plus is essentially premium economy with more legroom, wider seats, and adjustable headrests and footrests. In SAS Plus, you’ll also get many of the perks of SAS Business including lounge access, a three-course meal, SAS Fast Track, priority boarding, free WiFi and two included checked bags. SAS Plus does cost several hundred dollars more than SAS Go, but only for the adult ticket. The “free” child tickets in that same cabin will still ring in as just the taxes and fees under this promo.
Naturally, the exact total price for your journey will depend on when and where you want to fly, but you can use the SAS low fare calendar to easily spot the cheapest days to fly. Prices for round-trip economy tickets from the US to eligible destinations start at around $600 for adults, with children tacking on about $50 – $60 in taxes/fees per ticket. You can fly one adult and five children from Newark (EWR) to Copenhagen (CPH) for just $921 — that breaks down to $153.50 per person.
For premium economy SAS Plus tickets, adults can expect a couple hundred dollars more each way, but child tickets should price in the same $50 – $60 range. It could be worth considering that up-charge if you can handle the increased adult price since the kids would also enjoy SAS Plus. Just $231 round-trip per person in premium economy is an incredible deal.
Use Miles to Purchase Additional Adult Seats
If you want to minimize your cash outlay for a large family trip to Scandinavia, consider just paying for one adult to obtain the child tickets and then the other adult(s) or children older than 11 could use miles. Since SAS is in the Star Alliance, you can book a SAS award ticket via a partner such as United or Aeroplan. In the case of Aeroplan, you can transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio from cards such as The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express, The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express, or The Business Platinum® Card from American Express. However, an economy round trip award on SAS will cost you around 60,000 miles in partner programs, so it may not be a good use of miles if cash prices are low.
You may be even better served by purchasing all of your SAS tickets with a credit card such as the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card or the Discover it® Miles and then wipe out the cost of the purchase using the miles from one of those cards at a rate of one cent per point.
Scandinavia is not only beautiful, but also lauded to be quite a family-friendly (and happy) travel destination. There are no promo codes or special links necessary to use to get this SAS buy-one-get-several deal. Simply head to the SAS website, make your booking as normal, and the price for the eligible child tickets should display as only the taxes.
- SAS Economy Review: Copenhagen – San Francisco
- SAS Business Class Review: Newark – Oslo
- Guide to Northern Lights Around the World
- 10 Tips for Surviving Long Haul Flights With Kids
- 8 Common Mistakes Travelers Make in Norway
Featured image of the Northern Lights as seen in Tampere, Finland by Getty Images
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees