This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airlines are predicting a 5.2% raise in air passenger traffic during the peak Christmas and New Year’s travel days, a trade group said in its holiday air travel forecast Tuesday.
Airlines for America said that US carriers will shuttle at least 2.5 million people each day during the peak holiday stretch, which spans the 18 days between Dec. 20 to Jan. 6. That adds up to a total of about 45.7 million passengers flying in the US during the holidays.
An estimated 126,000 more passengers than the same time in 2017 are expected to fly each day during those jam-packed two and a half weeks. Luckily, US airlines have added 143,000 seats per day to accommodate this seasonal swell of travelers.
Flyers booked to travel on the Friday before Christmas, Dec. 21, should prepare for a little holly jolly mayhem. That is projected to be the busiest air travel day during this hectic period with 2.91 million passengers. On the other hand, if you’re scheduled to fly on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, you can expect to find a little more zen when you arrive at the airport, as those two days are projected to pack the least amount of passengers.
Don’t forget that during desperate times like these, it is well worth it to have services like TSA PreCheck or CLEAR biometric screening to avoid the inevitable snaking lines at security checkpoints. Plus, many travel rewards credit cards will reimburse you for the sign-up fee.
After this year’s Thanksgiving travel numbers broke all kinds of records, it is probably wise to heed Airlines for America’s prediction and prepare for possible airport pandemonium this holiday season.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards