This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airlines are predicting a 5.2% raise in air passenger traffic during the peak Christmas and New Year’s travel days, a trade group said in its holiday air travel forecast Tuesday.
Airlines for America said that US carriers will shuttle at least 2.5 million people each day during the peak holiday stretch, which spans the 18 days between Dec. 20 to Jan. 6. That adds up to a total of about 45.7 million passengers flying in the US during the holidays.
An estimated 126,000 more passengers than the same time in 2017 are expected to fly each day during those jam-packed two and a half weeks. Luckily, US airlines have added 143,000 seats per day to accommodate this seasonal swell of travelers.
Flyers booked to travel on the Friday before Christmas, Dec. 21, should prepare for a little holly jolly mayhem. That is projected to be the busiest air travel day during this hectic period with 2.91 million passengers. On the other hand, if you’re scheduled to fly on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, you can expect to find a little more zen when you arrive at the airport, as those two days are projected to pack the least amount of passengers.
Don’t forget that during desperate times like these, it is well worth it to have services like TSA PreCheck or CLEAR biometric screening to avoid the inevitable snaking lines at security checkpoints. Plus, many travel rewards credit cards will reimburse you for the sign-up fee.
After this year’s Thanksgiving travel numbers broke all kinds of records, it is probably wise to heed Airlines for America’s prediction and prepare for possible airport pandemonium this holiday season.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees