Bus Catches Fire Outside of London Airport Terminal, Forces Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A bus caught fire outside a terminal at London’s Stansted Airport (STN) on Friday, forcing parts of the airport to be evacuated. At 4:40pm local time, Stansted Airport tweeted that a “car park shuttle bus” was on fire and that “parts of the terminal building are being evacuated due to smoke.”
Videos and pictures shared on social media show the severity of the flames.
Inside the terminal, a massive inferno appeared to be raging outside.
From the outside of the terminal, huge plumes of black smoke enveloped parts of the airport.
Passengers tweeted that they were stuck in large immigration lines due to the fires.
About 30 minutes after the airport’s initial tweet, it said the fire had been put out. It confirmed that there were no injuries or deaths caused by the incident — adding that the fire was started by an “electrical engine fault on the bus.”
Passengers who were evacuated from the terminal were rescreened through security after the fire was extinguished.
The passenger drop-off area, where the incident occurred, remains closed. The airport advised travelers to check their flight status as “some flights could be subject to delays or cancellations.”
The bus had been completely destroyed by the time the fire had been put out.
Featured image by Regina Fjendbo / Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees