‘Sudden Burst of Smoke’ Forces American Airlines Flight to Make Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight from Los Angeles to New York was forced to make an emergency landing in Phoenix Wednesday night after a “sudden burst of smoke” was emitted in the front galley of the aircraft.
Flight AA10 took off from LAX at 9pm on Wednesday, heading for New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). According to flight tracking site FlightRadar24, the Airbus A321 diverted to Phoenix (PHX) about an hour and a half into the transcon flight.
One passenger on board, Terron Austin, tweeted that there was a “sudden burst of smoke followed by an announcement to immediately prepare for landing.”
So…we’re having an emergency landing in #Phoenix on my 9PM PST flight from #LA to #NYC. Sudden burst of smoke followed by an announcement to immediately prepare for landing. We weren’t even two hours in the air yet. Flight 10 on @AmericanAir. ??✈️
— Terron Austin (@TerronAustin) January 3, 2019
There were reportedly no injuries among the 97 passengers on the A321.
In an email to TPG, American Airlines confirmed the plane was forced to divert to PHX due to a “mechanical issue.” The initial assessment from the maintenance team was that the issue was caused by a “faulty chiller” on the aircraft. The airline says that passengers were given “overnight accommodations” on Wednesday, and the flight will re-depart on Thursday morning.
Featured image by Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.