‘Sudden Burst of Smoke’ Forces American Airlines Flight to Make Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight from Los Angeles to New York was forced to make an emergency landing in Phoenix Wednesday night after a “sudden burst of smoke” was emitted in the front galley of the aircraft.
Flight AA10 took off from LAX at 9pm on Wednesday, heading for New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). According to flight tracking site FlightRadar24, the Airbus A321 diverted to Phoenix (PHX) about an hour and a half into the transcon flight.
One passenger on board, Terron Austin, tweeted that there was a “sudden burst of smoke followed by an announcement to immediately prepare for landing.”
So…we’re having an emergency landing in #Phoenix on my 9PM PST flight from #LA to #NYC. Sudden burst of smoke followed by an announcement to immediately prepare for landing. We weren’t even two hours in the air yet. Flight 10 on @AmericanAir. ??✈️
— Terron Austin (@TerronAustin) January 3, 2019
There were reportedly no injuries among the 97 passengers on the A321.
In an email to TPG, American Airlines confirmed the plane was forced to divert to PHX due to a “mechanical issue.” The initial assessment from the maintenance team was that the issue was caused by a “faulty chiller” on the aircraft. The airline says that passengers were given “overnight accommodations” on Wednesday, and the flight will re-depart on Thursday morning.
Featured image by Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees