This Couple Drunkenly Bought the Hotel Where They Were Honeymooning
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a familiar story: couple goes on honeymoon, couple celebrates with a few too many drinks, couple ends up with a hilarious-but-not-detrimental story to tell their family once they return. Except, this story doesn’t quite fit that mold.
Gina Lyons and Mark Lee, from London, set off to Sri Lanka to enjoy a blissful honeymoon after vowing their undying love to each other. During the three-week adventure, they found themselves in quite the pickle after consuming a nontrivial amount of rum. With too much alcohol comes a reduction in logic, and what began as a harmless question ended in a contract: They agreed to purchase the place they were honeymooning.
They discovered that the lease was nearly up on the small hotel that they had fallen head over heels for, and in a fit of “Wouldn’t it be great if we canceled our return flight and stayed here forever?!” they actually pulled the trigger. Following a series of translated, drunken conversations, they agreed to pick up the lease for the next three years, which worked out to around $13,200 per annum. Granted, that’s a pretty small sum compared to what you’d pay in London for a bantam apartment, but owning a hotel comes with a lot of other responsibilities.
“Our friends and family think we’re idiots and shouldn’t have been doing it — we owed a lot of money from the wedding and only lived in a tiny flat, and now we have a baby on the way,” said Lyons.
Unflapped, the couple decided to go all-in on the decision, investing $8,000 into renovations and reopening the place as a seven-bedroom bed and breakfast. Lucky Beach Tangalle welcomed its first visitors in July, and so far it appears that business is booming. While they’re delighted with the outcome, they insist that their next major life decision will occur without the assistance of rum.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image courtesy of Lucky Beach Tangalle.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.