This Couple Drunkenly Bought the Hotel Where They Were Honeymooning
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a familiar story: couple goes on honeymoon, couple celebrates with a few too many drinks, couple ends up with a hilarious-but-not-detrimental story to tell their family once they return. Except, this story doesn’t quite fit that mold.
Gina Lyons and Mark Lee, from London, set off to Sri Lanka to enjoy a blissful honeymoon after vowing their undying love to each other. During the three-week adventure, they found themselves in quite the pickle after consuming a nontrivial amount of rum. With too much alcohol comes a reduction in logic, and what began as a harmless question ended in a contract: They agreed to purchase the place they were honeymooning.
They discovered that the lease was nearly up on the small hotel that they had fallen head over heels for, and in a fit of “Wouldn’t it be great if we canceled our return flight and stayed here forever?!” they actually pulled the trigger. Following a series of translated, drunken conversations, they agreed to pick up the lease for the next three years, which worked out to around $13,200 per annum. Granted, that’s a pretty small sum compared to what you’d pay in London for a bantam apartment, but owning a hotel comes with a lot of other responsibilities.
“Our friends and family think we’re idiots and shouldn’t have been doing it — we owed a lot of money from the wedding and only lived in a tiny flat, and now we have a baby on the way,” said Lyons.
Unflapped, the couple decided to go all-in on the decision, investing $8,000 into renovations and reopening the place as a seven-bedroom bed and breakfast. Lucky Beach Tangalle welcomed its first visitors in July, and so far it appears that business is booming. While they’re delighted with the outcome, they insist that their next major life decision will occur without the assistance of rum.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image courtesy of Lucky Beach Tangalle.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees