British Embassy Issues Warning on Alcohol for Flights to UAE
After a UK woman was jailed in July for drinking a glass of wine on an Emirates flight from London to Dubai and possessing incorrect documentation, the British Embassy in the United Arab Emirates is warning UK citizens of the consequences of drinking alcohol when flying to the UAE.
In a message posted on Facebook, the British Embassy reminded its citizens that in the UAE “it is a punishable offence to be under the influence of alcohol in public — including when transiting through the UAE.” The post also noted that the punishment for alcohol consumption include “custodial sentences and/or a fine.”
Tourists in the UAE can only drink alcohol in hotels or other similar-licensed areas. “If caught carrying or drinking alcohol without a licence or with alcohol in your blood, you can be arrested,” the embassy’s warning continued.
Emirates Airline tweeted over the weekend that it will still serve alcohol both in its lounges at Dubai’s airport and on its flights.
Hi Sarah, alcohol consumption is not prohibited on our flights.
Furthermore alcohol is also served in the lounged in Dubai airport and available for purchase in the Duty Free.
— Emirates Support (@EmiratesSupport) September 9, 2018
On July 13, 44-year-old Ellie Holman, who is originally from Sweden, was arrested at Dubai International Airport (DXB) by immigration officers because she drank one glass of red wine with her meal on board her flight and her documentation was incorrect. Upon arrival at DXB, Holman says an immigration officer told her to immediately purchase a ticket back to London because her visa had expired. Then, the immigration officer asked if she had been drinking, adding that it was a crime to consume or possess alcohol in the United Arab Emirates.
“I told him I had a glass of wine on the flight. It was given to me free by Emirates Airlines staff,” Holman told the Daily Mail.
After three days, Holman was released on bail. The charges against her were eventually dropped by the Attorney General of Dubai, who maintained the charges were for profanity and photographing a government official in a restricted area.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees