British Divers Who Helped Save Thai Soccer Team Get Free Flights for Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the more heartwarming stories from the past few weeks has been the recovery of a young soccer team trapped in a cave in Thailand. Now, two of the British rescuers that were key in finding the lost team have been awarded medals and promised free travel to Thailand for life.
In a ceremony in the Bangkok airport (BKK), the British duo John Volanthen and Jason Mallinson received a hero’s welcome. Thai Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith awarded the pair medals and certificates from Thailand’s Prime Minister and concluded by saying that they would receive “free tickets to Thailand, any time.”
The volunteer rescue divers were two of nine Brits that flew to Thailand to help out with the search for the missing soccer team. Running out of guideline, Volanthen was the one who surfaced in the cavern of the cave where the team had been trapped. An IT consultant by trade, Volanthen cave dives as a hobby and has won numerous awards for participating in other cave rescue efforts.
Becoming a national hero is definitely the hard way of securing free airline tickets. If you’re looking for another way, credit cards points and miles are much safer and easier to navigate.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.