British Divers Who Helped Save Thai Soccer Team Get Free Flights for Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the more heartwarming stories from the past few weeks has been the recovery of a young soccer team trapped in a cave in Thailand. Now, two of the British rescuers that were key in finding the lost team have been awarded medals and promised free travel to Thailand for life.
In a ceremony in the Bangkok airport (BKK), the British duo John Volanthen and Jason Mallinson received a hero’s welcome. Thai Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith awarded the pair medals and certificates from Thailand’s Prime Minister and concluded by saying that they would receive “free tickets to Thailand, any time.”
The volunteer rescue divers were two of nine Brits that flew to Thailand to help out with the search for the missing soccer team. Running out of guideline, Volanthen was the one who surfaced in the cavern of the cave where the team had been trapped. An IT consultant by trade, Volanthen cave dives as a hobby and has won numerous awards for participating in other cave rescue efforts.
Becoming a national hero is definitely the hard way of securing free airline tickets. If you’re looking for another way, credit cards points and miles are much safer and easier to navigate.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees