British Pubs Are Facing a Beer Shortage This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were planning to hoist a refreshing beer this summer at a pub in the UK it might prove to be more difficult than you expected.
Pubs across the UK are on the brink of a serious beer shortage in the coming summer months due to a lack of carbon dioxide.
Planned shutdowns of CO₂ plants and other unexpected equipment failures have driven the shortage. There is now only one large plant in the UK producing CO₂ for the entire country’s beer supply. At least 82% of the beer consumed in the UK is produced there as well.
Industry publication Gasworld called the shortage the biggest CO₂ crisis in decades, noting that at least five CO₂ manufacturers in Northern Europe have recently gone offline. According to Gasworld, which first reported the shortage, beer producers and other carbonated drink manufacturers in the area are getting “desperate” due to the crisis, which is hitting as a heat wave boosts beer consumption and drinkers crowd into local pubs to watch the World Cup.
The World Cup is also causing a similar beer shortage in Moscow, where millions of visiting fans have guzzled the beverage far quicker than expected.
“Whilst some members may still be receiving supplies of CO₂, this shortage will undoubtedly impact on those many smaller suppliers who distribute locally but who will be supplied in turn by the national producers,” the British Beer and Pub Association, which represents 20,000 UK pubs, noted in a statement on the beer crisis. The BBPA also said that some stoppages in beer production have already begun, although it didn’t specify which beers.
The BBC reports that some of the hardest hit beers include Heineken and Amstel’s kegs.
“We’ve been informed by our CO₂ supplier that they are facing a major issue with supply availability in the UK,” Heineken told the BBC in a statement, noting that it was working with producers to minimize any potential supply disruptions.
The BBPA thinks the shortage could have been avoided.
“You could have foreseen this,” Brigid Simmonds, head of the BBPA told the BBC of the CO₂ suppliers. “Quite why they didn’t anticipate this, I don’t know.”
Featured image by SolStock via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees