This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 100,000-point sign-up bonus offer for the British Airways Visa Signature Card is back! We’ve seen this offer come and go a number of times over the last few years, but when it’s around as it is right now, it’s an offer seriously worth considering, depending on your travel goals.
You might be wondering why you would need points in the frequent flyer program of the United Kingdom’s largest airline? Well, these British Airways points — which are called “Avios” — are significantly more useful than they might seem at first glance. Yes, you can use them to fly on British Airways, but they also have many other uses which can be ultimately more valuable. We’ll get to that in a moment.
But first, here’s how this three-tier sign-up bonus works…
- You’ll earn the first 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months of cardmembership.
- Then you’ll earn an additional 25,000 Avios by spending a total of $10,000 in the first 12 months of having the card. That includes the $3,000 you already spent for the first tier.
- Finally, you’ll earn another 25,000 Avios for spending a total of $20,000 in the first 12 months of cardmembership. Again, that $20,000 includes the spend you’ve already done in tiers #1 and #2.
Add it all together and it means if you spend a total of $20,000 on the British Airways Visa in your first 12 months, you’ll end up with 100,000 bonus Avios, plus another 20,000 Avios for spending $20,000 at 1 Avios per dollar spent, for a grand total of 120,000 Avios.
Keep in mind you don’t have to reach every tier if you don’t want to spend that much on the card. If you prefer, you can just spend $3,000 and get the 50,000 bonus Avios, or spend $10,000 in a year and get 75,000 bonus Avios. You don’t even have to make that spending decision right now — instead, you can get the card, and then decide as you go just which bonus tier you want to aim for.
So back to the original question: Why would you want Avios? Well, British Airways is a member of the Oneworld airline alliance, which means you can use these Avios to book flights on any of those partner airlines. The program also uses a distance-based award chart rather than a traditional region-based chart. Those two factors open up a whole world of possibilities, such as…
- Economy flights on American Airlines for just 7,500 Avios if you’re traveling no more than 1,151 miles.
- Major West Coast cities to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines for just 12,500 Avios in economy.
- Business-class seats on American for just 15,000 Avios for flights up to 1,151 miles.
- Round-trip economy flights from multiple US cities to Dublin, Ireland (DUB) for just 33,000 Avios.
- Normally ultra-expensive domestic flights within Japan on JAL for just 4,500 Avios.
And that’s just a sampling. Interestingly enough, the one thing you probably won’t want to do with these Avios is book long-haul trips on British Airways itself, because the carrier tacks on outlandish carrier surcharges for those flights. You also won’t want to sit endlessly on these Avios, as BA has been musing for a while now about changing up its program to a fixed-value revenue-based system.
But under the current program, having a stash of Avios can be extremely helpful, especially when booking awards close to departure since the program has no close-in booking fee. So now’s a good time to take a look at your travel goals and consider whether this British Airways Visa 100,000 point bonus offer makes sense for you.
Featured image by Getty Images.
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.