Earn up to 100,000 Avios With the British Airways Visa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Official application links: Earn up to 100,000 Avios with the British Airways Visa Signature Card.
Although often overlooked in favor of US-based mileage currencies, there’s a ton of value to be had in British Airways Avios. Sure, you can use these points to fly on British Airways, but they also have many other uses which can be ultimately more valuable. And now, it’s even easier to rack up a hefty stash of Avios than before.
The British Airways Visa Signature Card is back with a tiered sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Avios. With this offer, you’ll earn 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 in the first three months, plus another 50,000 Avios after spending a total of $20,000 in the first year. That works out to about $1,700 per month if you want to earn both bonuses.
Based on TPG’s valuations of Avios at 1.5 cents per point, the full 100,000-point bonus is worth a whopping $1,500. That’s one of the highest card offers currently available.
The previous sign-up offer topped out at 120,000 Avios compared to only 100,000 with this one, but it also had a much higher spending requirement. It offered 4 Avios per dollar on all purchases within your first year, up to $30,000. So, to earn 100,000 Avios with the old offer, you would have needed to spend $25,000 in the first 12 months — $5,000 more than what the current offer requires for the same amount of miles.
Keep in mind you do have to spend $20,000 to reap the 100,000 points with this current offer. If you only spend $19,000 on the card in your first account year for example, you’ll only walk away with 50,000 Avios, so make sure you’re able to do the entire spend if you’re aiming to maximize this bonus.
Back to the original question: Why would you want Avios? Well, British Airways is a member of the Oneworld airline alliance, which means you can use these Avios to book flights on any of those partner airlines. The program also uses a distance-based award chart rather than a traditional region-based chart. Those two factors open up a whole world of possibilities, such as…
- Economy flights on American Airlines for just 9,000 Avios if you’re traveling no more than 1,151 miles.
- Major West Coast cities to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines for just 13,000 Avios in economy.
- Business-class seats on American for just 16,500 Avios for flights up to 1,151 miles.
- Normally ultra-expensive domestic flights within Japan on JAL for just 6,000 Avios.
And that’s just a sampling. You can unlock even more sweet spots, such as business class flights to Europe for 34,000 miles one-way, by converting your British Airways Avios into Iberia Avios. Interestingly enough, the one thing you probably won’t want to do with these Avios is book long-haul trips on British Airways itself, because the carrier tacks on outlandish carrier surcharges for those flights. You also won’t want to sit endlessly on these Avios, as BA has been musing for a while now about changing up its program to a fixed-value revenue-based system.
But under the current program, having a stash of Avios can be extremely helpful, especially when booking awards close to departure since the program has no close-in booking fee. So now’s a good time to take a look at your travel goals and consider whether this British Airways Visa bonus offer of up to 100,000 Avios makes sense for you.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page for the British Airways Visa card, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older offers below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.