British Airways swaps terminals at London Heathrow for some U.S. flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways’ winter timetable began on Sunday, and with that update, the airline swapped a number of routes between Terminal 3 and Terminal 5, the two terminals it uses at London Heathrow (LHR). Two of those swaps affect U.S. destinations, San Diego and Phoenix.
Effective Sunday, October 27, the airline swapped the following flights between terminals:
- Billund (BLL), Hanover (HAJ), Zagreb (ZAG) and San Diego (SAN) now depart from Terminal 3;
- Luxembourg (LUX), Lyon (LYS) and Phoenix (PHX) now depart from Terminal 5.
British Airways operates the majority of its flights from its home base of Terminal 5. However, no one terminal is large enough to be able to accommodate all of the airline’s routes. Because of that, the British airline also operates a number of flights out of Terminal 3.
Terminal swaps don’t occur very often, but it’s important that travellers know which terminal their flight departs from to avoid potential issues. The minimum time required for flight connections, known as Minimum Connection Time (MCT), also changes when there’s a terminal transfer involved. If a connection is within the same terminal, the MCT at LHR is 60 minutes, while it’s 90 minutes when there’s a transfer between terminals involved.
British Airways runs a summer and a winter timetable and switches between the two in March and October. Any major route adjustments, such as new routes or seasonal routes, as well as timing and aircraft changes, tend to be scheduled to coincide at the same time.
For the most up-to-date flight information (including terminal information and flight delays), always check with the airline before heading to the airport.
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.