British Airways swaps terminals at London Heathrow for some U.S. flights
British Airways’ winter timetable began on Sunday, and with that update, the airline swapped a number of routes between Terminal 3 and Terminal 5, the two terminals it uses at London Heathrow (LHR). Two of those swaps affect U.S. destinations, San Diego and Phoenix.
Effective Sunday, October 27, the airline swapped the following flights between terminals:
- Billund (BLL), Hanover (HAJ), Zagreb (ZAG) and San Diego (SAN) now depart from Terminal 3;
- Luxembourg (LUX), Lyon (LYS) and Phoenix (PHX) now depart from Terminal 5.
British Airways operates the majority of its flights from its home base of Terminal 5. However, no one terminal is large enough to be able to accommodate all of the airline’s routes. Because of that, the British airline also operates a number of flights out of Terminal 3.
Terminal swaps don’t occur very often, but it’s important that travellers know which terminal their flight departs from to avoid potential issues. The minimum time required for flight connections, known as Minimum Connection Time (MCT), also changes when there’s a terminal transfer involved. If a connection is within the same terminal, the MCT at LHR is 60 minutes, while it’s 90 minutes when there’s a transfer between terminals involved.
British Airways runs a summer and a winter timetable and switches between the two in March and October. Any major route adjustments, such as new routes or seasonal routes, as well as timing and aircraft changes, tend to be scheduled to coincide at the same time.
For the most up-to-date flight information (including terminal information and flight delays), always check with the airline before heading to the airport.
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.