British Airways swaps terminals at London Heathrow for some U.S. flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways’ winter timetable began on Sunday, and with that update, the airline swapped a number of routes between Terminal 3 and Terminal 5, the two terminals it uses at London Heathrow (LHR). Two of those swaps affect U.S. destinations, San Diego and Phoenix.
Effective Sunday, October 27, the airline swapped the following flights between terminals:
- Billund (BLL), Hanover (HAJ), Zagreb (ZAG) and San Diego (SAN) now depart from Terminal 3;
- Luxembourg (LUX), Lyon (LYS) and Phoenix (PHX) now depart from Terminal 5.
British Airways operates the majority of its flights from its home base of Terminal 5. However, no one terminal is large enough to be able to accommodate all of the airline’s routes. Because of that, the British airline also operates a number of flights out of Terminal 3.
Terminal swaps don’t occur very often, but it’s important that travellers know which terminal their flight departs from to avoid potential issues. The minimum time required for flight connections, known as Minimum Connection Time (MCT), also changes when there’s a terminal transfer involved. If a connection is within the same terminal, the MCT at LHR is 60 minutes, while it’s 90 minutes when there’s a transfer between terminals involved.
British Airways runs a summer and a winter timetable and switches between the two in March and October. Any major route adjustments, such as new routes or seasonal routes, as well as timing and aircraft changes, tend to be scheduled to coincide at the same time.
For the most up-to-date flight information (including terminal information and flight delays), always check with the airline before heading to the airport.
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees