British Airways Still Isn’t Part of PreCheck — Despite What Its Website Says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/17/2018: On the day after we confirmed with British Airways and TSA that the airline wasn’t part of PreCheck, British Airways has joined TSA PreCheck.
PreCheck’s got 52 airlines, but British Airways ain’t one. That’s right, one of the largest operators of transatlantic flights still isn’t part of the TSA PreCheck program, despite what’s been reported on some blogs and what you might assume based on the airline’s website. Meanwhile, boutique airlines like Dominican Wings, Seaborne Airlines and, well, Boutique Airlines are already part of the program.
Rumors began swirling in early May that British Airways had joined PreCheck. Sure enough, a TSA press release came out that morning… listing six airlines that weren’t British Airways. You can add Air Serbia, Condor, Porter Airlines, SAS and Thomas Cook to the list of airlines that beat British to the finish line.
However, if you check British Airways’ website, you might assume that the carrier is part of TSA PreCheck. After all, you can enter your Known Traveler Number into reservations online and at British Airways ticket counters. On BA’s website, a pop-up window tells passengers how “to use TSA Precheck with British Airways”:
TPG asked the TSA if British Airways was an unannounced participating PreCheck airline. The spokesperson’s response was short and blunt: “BA is NOT a Precheck airline.”
So, we checked with the airline about the confusion. A British Airways spokesperson confirmed that BA is “not yet a member of the TSA PreCheck program,” but teased:
We appreciate this is a terrific benefit to our customers and will provide more information shortly.
So we might see a press release soon announcing British Airways as a TSA PreCheck-participating airline. Considering how long its been already, we aren’t holding our breath.
Featured image by Joe Raedle / Staff
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees