British Airways refreshing Heathrow lounges in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the airline’s 20 ‘New Year’s Resolutions for 2020’, it has revealed several lounges lined up for upgrades, including:
- London Heathrow (LHR)
- Edinburgh (EDI)
- Berlin (TXL/BER)
The Elemis Spa in its New York (JFK) lounge will also be refreshed.
The airline has not revealed the extent to which the Heathrow lounges will change as part of the refreshment. This could mean a completely new design and style as seen in its newly opened lounge at Rome (FCO) earlier this year, though using the word ‘refresh’ rather than upgrade or refurbishment suggests the changes may be more cosmetic rather than significant changes.
British Airways operates seven different lounges at Heathrow Airport terminals 3 and 5 as its largest hub catering to a wide range of business class, first class and high status passengers. Even if each lounge is refreshed during 2020 it is likely only one lounge will be done at a time as the airline will not want to risk more disruption to passenger experience than absolutely necessary.
Berlin’s new Brandenburg Airport (BER) is set to finally open in October 2020, almost a decade late and more than $1.1 billion over budget. As British Airways is likely to switch Berlin operations from Tegel (TXL) to Brandenburg Airport once the new airport officially opens, the lounge improvement is likely to be the building of a new lounge at Brandenburg.
Other New Year’s resolutions for the airline include:
- The majority of BA aircraft to be Wi-Fi enabled by the end of 2020
- New uniforms for staff
- More aircraft to be fitted with the airline’s new Club Suite
- Taking delivery of its first Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner aircraft, which will debut on the Atlanta (ATL) route in February 2020
Featured image by Daniel Ross / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.