This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Transatlantic passengers rejoice: British Airways has joined TSA PreCheck. Now, enrolled TSA PreCheck BA passengers departing one of its 26 US gateway airports won’t have to take out their laptops, take out their liquids or remove their shoes, belt or jackets. And, according to the TSA, “nearly 93% of passengers in TSA PreCheck lanes waited less than five minutes” so far in 2018.
Of course this announcement comes just one day after TPG confirmed with both British Airways and TSA that British Airways was not part of TSA PreCheck. But, it seems that the check has now cleared and one of the largest transatlantic airlines is now part of the program.
Effective immediately, printed boarding passes will include TSA PreCheck indication. However, mobile boarding passes won’t reflect PreCheck status yet. British Airways has indicated that this feature will be added “this summer.”
British Airways passengers departing out of New York’s Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 7 will also have to wait a little bit longer to take advantage of their PreCheck status. There’s not currently a TSA PreCheck security line in Terminal 7, but one will open this summer when BA’s $65 million improvement project is completed.
British Airways joins 52 other airlines on the list of participating airlines, which now includes:
Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air France, Air Serbia, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Aruba Airlines, Avianca, Boutique Airlines ,British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Cape Air, Cathay Pacific Airways, Condor Airlines, Contour Aviation, Copa Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Dominican Wings, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, InterCaribbean Airways, JetBlue Airways, Key Lime Air, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Miami Air International, OneJet, Philippine Airlines, Porter Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Seaborne Airlines, Silver Airways, Singapore Airlines, Southern Airways Express, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, Sunwing Airlines, Swift Air, Thomas Cook Airlines (Scan.), Thomas Cook Airlines (UK), Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet, World Atlantic, Xtra Airways
If you don’t have TSA PreCheck or Global Entry — which grants TSA PreCheck privileges — make sure to sign up for a card that includes this as a benefit. And there seems to be an ever-growing list of cards that offer this benefit, including the new United Explorer Credit Card starting June 1.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees