British Airways Will Serve Beer Brewed at 40,000 Feet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cheers, lads. In celebration of 100 years of flying, British Airways is now serving a beer that was brewed at 40,000 feet in the air.
The beer was created by Scottish brewery BrewDog founders Martin Dickie and James Watt with help from a BA cabin crew during a cruise aboard one of the airline’s 787 Dreamliners. By combining water, hops and barley in a special, onboard brewmaker, the “transatlantic IPA” was born at 500 mph over the north of Scotland. They named it the Speedbird 100 after the airline’s call sign.
And now, British Airways passengers will be able to enjoy it while flying to a multitude of destinations worldwide. According to BrewDog, Speedbird 100 was specially crafted to complement the restrictions that come with tasting food and drinks in the air. “The key thing is that the bitterness and fruit flavors aren’t really affected by the altitude, so we wanted to play on those two things and ramp up the sweetness,” said Martin Dickie, BrewDog’s co-founder in a press release. “We really hope British Airways customers love Speedbird 100 as much as we do.”
Speedbird will be available on all BA flights and in select lounges starting May 1. Passengers aboard BA flights can also watch the “making of Speedbird 100” film on the airline’s inflight entertainment system starting in July.
And, if you happen to be flying out of New York — BrewDog will be opening its first bar (and yes, Speedbird is on the menu) at John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). It will be located in British Airways’ new Club lounge in Terminal 7, opening this spring.
Featured image by Witthaya Prasongsin via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.