British Airways Will Serve Beer Brewed at 40,000 Feet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cheers, lads. In celebration of 100 years of flying, British Airways is now serving a beer that was brewed at 40,000 feet in the air.
The beer was created by Scottish brewery BrewDog founders Martin Dickie and James Watt with help from a BA cabin crew during a cruise aboard one of the airline’s 787 Dreamliners. By combining water, hops and barley in a special, onboard brewmaker, the “transatlantic IPA” was born at 500 mph over the north of Scotland. They named it the Speedbird 100 after the airline’s call sign.
And now, British Airways passengers will be able to enjoy it while flying to a multitude of destinations worldwide. According to BrewDog, Speedbird 100 was specially crafted to complement the restrictions that come with tasting food and drinks in the air. “The key thing is that the bitterness and fruit flavors aren’t really affected by the altitude, so we wanted to play on those two things and ramp up the sweetness,” said Martin Dickie, BrewDog’s co-founder in a press release. “We really hope British Airways customers love Speedbird 100 as much as we do.”
Speedbird will be available on all BA flights and in select lounges starting May 1. Passengers aboard BA flights can also watch the “making of Speedbird 100” film on the airline’s inflight entertainment system starting in July.
And, if you happen to be flying out of New York — BrewDog will be opening its first bar (and yes, Speedbird is on the menu) at John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). It will be located in British Airways’ new Club lounge in Terminal 7, opening this spring.
Featured image by Witthaya Prasongsin via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees