This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cheers, lads. In celebration of 100 years of flying, British Airways is now serving a beer that was brewed at 40,000 feet in the air.
The beer was created by Scottish brewery BrewDog founders Martin Dickie and James Watt with help from a BA cabin crew during a cruise aboard one of the airline’s 787 Dreamliners. By combining water, hops and barley in a special, onboard brewmaker, the “transatlantic IPA” was born at 500 mph over the north of Scotland. They named it the Speedbird 100 after the airline’s call sign.
And now, British Airways passengers will be able to enjoy it while flying to a multitude of destinations worldwide. According to BrewDog, Speedbird 100 was specially crafted to complement the restrictions that come with tasting food and drinks in the air. “The key thing is that the bitterness and fruit flavors aren’t really affected by the altitude, so we wanted to play on those two things and ramp up the sweetness,” said Martin Dickie, BrewDog’s co-founder in a press release. “We really hope British Airways customers love Speedbird 100 as much as we do.”
Speedbird will be available on all BA flights and in select lounges starting May 1. Passengers aboard BA flights can also watch the “making of Speedbird 100” film on the airline’s inflight entertainment system starting in July.
And, if you happen to be flying out of New York — BrewDog will be opening its first bar (and yes, Speedbird is on the menu) at John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). It will be located in British Airways’ new Club lounge in Terminal 7, opening this spring.
Featured image by Witthaya Prasongsin via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees