British Airways Announces Second Retro Livery: British European Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways made headlines recently upon debuting its first-ever retro livery as part of the airline’s 100th anniversary: a BA Boeing 747-400 painted in the iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery circa 1964. The move had aviation enthusiasts swooning, and become so popular that a Twitter account was created to tweet updates on the BOAC 747’s whereabouts.
Now, the airline is set to unveil the next retro livery celebrating the legacy of former carrier British European Airways (BEA). A British Airways Airbus A319 with the registration G-EUPJ has landed in Shannon (SNN), where it will receive a new coat of paint. When the aircraft emerges from the hangar, it will feature the livery of the now-defunct BEA.
The livery dates back to 1960, when the airline received its first jet-powered aircraft. The large red box would remain the airline’s livery through the mid-1970s, when it was replaced by a similar color scheme featuring part of the Union Jack flag on the tail of the aircraft.
The BEA Airbus A319 is slated to re-enter service in March. The A319 is currently operated on short to medium-haul flights throughout Europe, which means North American fans of the defunct airline will have to first fly across the pond to catch a glimpse of the retro livery in person.
Additional heritage liveries will be added to the British Airways fleet. The airline said it will soon announce which of its planes will get the upcoming retro treatments.
*This article has been updated. A previous version of this article misstated what BA planes would get the additional heritage liveries.
Featured image by Sobottaullstein bild via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.