British Airways Announces Second Retro Livery: British European Airways
British Airways made headlines recently upon debuting its first-ever retro livery as part of the airline’s 100th anniversary: a BA Boeing 747-400 painted in the iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery circa 1964. The move had aviation enthusiasts swooning, and become so popular that a Twitter account was created to tweet updates on the BOAC 747’s whereabouts.
Now, the airline is set to unveil the next retro livery celebrating the legacy of former carrier British European Airways (BEA). A British Airways Airbus A319 with the registration G-EUPJ has landed in Shannon (SNN), where it will receive a new coat of paint. When the aircraft emerges from the hangar, it will feature the livery of the now-defunct BEA.
The livery dates back to 1960, when the airline received its first jet-powered aircraft. The large red box would remain the airline’s livery through the mid-1970s, when it was replaced by a similar color scheme featuring part of the Union Jack flag on the tail of the aircraft.
The BEA Airbus A319 is slated to re-enter service in March. The A319 is currently operated on short to medium-haul flights throughout Europe, which means North American fans of the defunct airline will have to first fly across the pond to catch a glimpse of the retro livery in person.
Additional heritage liveries will be added to the British Airways fleet. The airline said it will soon announce which of its planes will get the upcoming retro treatments.
*This article has been updated. A previous version of this article misstated what BA planes would get the additional heritage liveries.
Featured image by Sobottaullstein bild via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.