British Airways Announces Second Retro Livery: British European Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways made headlines recently upon debuting its first-ever retro livery as part of the airline’s 100th anniversary: a BA Boeing 747-400 painted in the iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery circa 1964. The move had aviation enthusiasts swooning, and become so popular that a Twitter account was created to tweet updates on the BOAC 747’s whereabouts.
Now, the airline is set to unveil the next retro livery celebrating the legacy of former carrier British European Airways (BEA). A British Airways Airbus A319 with the registration G-EUPJ has landed in Shannon (SNN), where it will receive a new coat of paint. When the aircraft emerges from the hangar, it will feature the livery of the now-defunct BEA.
The livery dates back to 1960, when the airline received its first jet-powered aircraft. The large red box would remain the airline’s livery through the mid-1970s, when it was replaced by a similar color scheme featuring part of the Union Jack flag on the tail of the aircraft.
The BEA Airbus A319 is slated to re-enter service in March. The A319 is currently operated on short to medium-haul flights throughout Europe, which means North American fans of the defunct airline will have to first fly across the pond to catch a glimpse of the retro livery in person.
Additional heritage liveries will be added to the British Airways fleet. The airline said it will soon announce which of its planes will get the upcoming retro treatments.
*This article has been updated. A previous version of this article misstated what BA planes would get the additional heritage liveries.
Featured image by Sobottaullstein bild via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees