This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways made headlines recently upon debuting its first-ever retro livery as part of the airline’s 100th anniversary: a BA Boeing 747-400 painted in the iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery circa 1964. The move had aviation enthusiasts swooning, and become so popular that a Twitter account was created to tweet updates on the BOAC 747’s whereabouts.
Now, the airline is set to unveil the next retro livery celebrating the legacy of former carrier British European Airways (BEA). A British Airways Airbus A319 with the registration G-EUPJ has landed in Shannon (SNN), where it will receive a new coat of paint. When the aircraft emerges from the hangar, it will feature the livery of the now-defunct BEA.
The livery dates back to 1960, when the airline received its first jet-powered aircraft. The large red box would remain the airline’s livery through the mid-1970s, when it was replaced by a similar color scheme featuring part of the Union Jack flag on the tail of the aircraft.
The BEA Airbus A319 is slated to re-enter service in March. The A319 is currently operated on short to medium-haul flights throughout Europe, which means North American fans of the defunct airline will have to first fly across the pond to catch a glimpse of the retro livery in person.
Additional heritage liveries will be added to the British Airways fleet. The airline said it will soon announce which of its planes will get the upcoming retro treatments.
*This article has been updated. A previous version of this article misstated what BA planes would get the additional heritage liveries.
Featured image by Sobottaullstein bild via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees