Brisbane to host 2032 Olympics
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, the International Olympic Committee announced Brisbane, Australia, as the host for the 2032 Summer Olympics, the Associated Press reported. It will be the third time Australia will host the games.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“It’s a historic day not just for Brisbane and Queensland, but for the entire country,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in a press statement. “Only global cities can secure the Olympic Games – so this is fitting recognition for Brisbane’s standing across our region and the world.”
Today’s news comes as no surprise, as the IOC gave the city “exclusive negotiating rights” in February to avoid competing bids from Germany, Hungary and Qatar, per the AP.
Australia first hosted the Summer Olympics in Melbourne in 1956, and then in Sydney in 2000.
“We know the impact on Sydney more than two decades ago was transformative,” continued Morrison. “We can now expect a repeat for Brisbane and communities across Queensland.”
The country will also host the Paralympics in 2032.
It’s estimated that hosting the Olympics will yield $8.1 billion in economic and social benefits for Queensland and $17.6 billion for the country as a whole, according to the prime minister’s statement.
“We will see Brisbane and Queensland deliver an Olympic and Paralympic Games which are affordable, beneficial and sustainable for Queensland and Australia,” minister Richard Colbeck said. “In the coming years investment in infrastructure will continue to ensure transport and venues are not just fit for the purpose of the Games but support future growth in the region and remain shining examples of Australia’s success in staging some of the most important global events.”
In addition, Ted O’Brien, who has served as the representative for the Queensland bid, said he expects the games to create approximately 120,000 new jobs, including 90,000 in Queensland.
“As the Games approach, Queensland will be well-positioned to host training camps and Olympic teams as they arrive and acclimatise prior to the start of competition and in the years before the Games,” said O’Brien. “Construction, services, retail and hospitality will all be winners, and then there are the social benefits from health and wellbeing, social inclusion and improved accessibility for people with a disability.”
My TPG colleague Ben Smithson, who is Aussie, says Brisbane isn’t much of a tourist destination itself, and would guide you to nearby Gold Coast.
“It’s the theme park capital of Australia (think Orlando) and has great beaches and nightlife,” he said. “Brisbane was primarily awarded the games after Gold Coast ran a successful Commonwealth Games in 2018 so most venues are already built.”
Featured photo of Brisbane by Marianne Purdie/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees