The Brex corporate card co-founder explains how the company got to a $2.5 billion valuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
There are a handful of options to choose from on the market for corporate credit cards. But the co-founders of Brex wanted to provide tech startups and e-commerce companies a card that no other issuer was offering. On this round-table episode of the Talking Points, the co-CEO and co-founder, Henrique Dubugras, and the head of Brex partnerships and rewards, Thomas Piani, explain what sets the Brex corporate card apart; their latest product, Brex Cash; and how they’ve built a company worth over $2.5 billion.
“We understand that startups, commerce, restaurants, and hotels are very different businesses and have very different needs. And we have this mission to get rid of personal guarantees.” – Henrique Dubugras, co-CEO and co-founder, Brex
Host Brian Kelly shares his skepticism around whether or not the card holds up against popular cards like the The Business Platinum Card® from American Express or the Capital One Spark Miles for Business, as well as Brex’s strategy behind the card’s generous bonus categories. Brex card holders also have access to seven airline partners. TPG finds out which carrier they tend to use the most and why Brex introduced a physical lounge right from the start.
“If you’re a founder, you can go between two [venture capital] meetings or entertain a potential investor or a candidate in a space other than your office, which you know, for having seen at Brex, Brex’s first offices [were] sometimes less glamorous than you would want it to be. That was the initial idea.”
Brex is unconventional in many aspects, and if you live in NYC you might have noticed their unusual marketing tactics — something Dubugras also explains on the podcast.
— Pat Cines (@patrickcines) March 13, 2019
You can listen to this episode above, or wherever you choose to listen. Make sure you subscribe for free, leave a review, and tell a friend to tune in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees