The Brex corporate card co-founder explains how the company got to a $2.5 billion valuation
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
There are a handful of options to choose from on the market for corporate credit cards. But the co-founders of Brex wanted to provide tech startups and e-commerce companies a card that no other issuer was offering. On this round-table episode of the Talking Points, the co-CEO and co-founder, Henrique Dubugras, and the head of Brex partnerships and rewards, Thomas Piani, explain what sets the Brex corporate card apart; their latest product, Brex Cash; and how they’ve built a company worth over $2.5 billion.
“We understand that startups, commerce, restaurants, and hotels are very different businesses and have very different needs. And we have this mission to get rid of personal guarantees.” – Henrique Dubugras, co-CEO and co-founder, Brex
Host Brian Kelly shares his skepticism around whether or not the card holds up against popular cards like the The Business Platinum Card® from American Express or the Capital One Spark Miles for Business, as well as Brex’s strategy behind the card’s generous bonus categories. Brex card holders also have access to seven airline partners. TPG finds out which carrier they tend to use the most and why Brex introduced a physical lounge right from the start.
“If you’re a founder, you can go between two [venture capital] meetings or entertain a potential investor or a candidate in a space other than your office, which you know, for having seen at Brex, Brex’s first offices [were] sometimes less glamorous than you would want it to be. That was the initial idea.”
Brex is unconventional in many aspects, and if you live in NYC you might have noticed their unusual marketing tactics — something Dubugras also explains on the podcast.
— Pat Cines (@patrickcines) March 13, 2019
You can listen to this episode above, or wherever you choose to listen. Make sure you subscribe for free, leave a review, and tell a friend to tune in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.