Breeze pares its schedule in first major adjustment since its launch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Breeze Airways, the new airline by JetBlue founder David Neeleman, cut several routes and reduced frequencies on several others this week, less than two months after the airline began flying in late May.
The changes were first spotted by Twitter user @IshrionA.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The most affected markets appear to be Norfolk, VA (ORF) and Charleston, SC (CHS).
Five routes from Norfolk have been cut immediately for this week and part of next week, before resuming by the end of next week, some at a reduced frequency. Those routes are:
- Norfolk-Hartford, Connecticut (BDL)
- Norfolk-Columbus, Ohio (CMH)
- Norfolk-Pittsburgh (PIT)
- Norfolk-Tampa, Florida (TPA)
The following routes will see frequency reductions, dropping from four weekly flights to two:
- San Antonio, Texas (SAT)-Oklahoma City (OKC)
- San Antonio-Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL)
- San Antonio-Fayetteville, Arkansas (XNA)
- Huntsville, Alabama (HSV)-Tampa
- Huntsville-New Orleans (MSY)
- Richmond, Virginia (RIC)-Charleston
- Louisville, Kentucky (SDF)-Charleston
Breeze, which was previously known by its codename, “Moxy,” was first announced by Neeleman in 2018. The airline began service in May 2021 following several months of delays.
The carrier was launched with a plan to focus on point-to-point routes between small, underserved cities. Eschewing hubs, and generally avoiding competition, Neeleman — who also founded Brazilian airline Azul and was previously a co-owner of TAP Portugal — has said the idea is to run a low-cost, nimble operation connecting city pairs that might not come top of mind.
Neeleman has previously suggested that this nimbleness would allow Breeze to rapidly adjust its schedule and try new routes based on demand and booking trends.
The downside, of course, is that passengers booking far ahead of time could see their flights changed or even canceled. At press time, Breeze had placed a notice on its website advising passengers to check their reservations in case of schedule changes.
Judging from this first round of frequency reductions, Breeze does indeed plan to follow Neeleman’s plan and adjust things on the fly.
A spokesperson for Breeze did not immediately return a request for comment.
Featured image by David Slotnick/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees