Major earthquakes hit Caribbean
A major 7.7 magnitude earthquake shook parts of the Caribbean with shocks felt as far away as Miami on Tuesday afternoon. Shortly after, a 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit near the Cayman Islands according to the United States Geographical Services.
There’s been several large aftershocks, but thankfully no injuries or deaths have been reported.
The earthquake is now the strongest on record for the Caribbean region since the 1946 quake off the coast of the Dominican Republic according to According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration records.
Following the earthquake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) issued a tsunami warning for the Caribbean region. However, at 3:43 p.m. EST on Jan. 29 the PTWC recalled the warning, stating “The tsunami threat from this earthquake has passed and there is no further threat.”
Though the tsunami warning was called off for the rest of the Caribbean, there was a 0.4 foot tsunami wave observed in George Town, Cayman Islands. Prior to that, residents of the Cayman Islands could see the quake in action with water towers pouring over as seen in this tweet.
Video of the Earthquake from the Cayman Islands Showing water pouring from water towers from the strong shaking! #earthquakes #earthquake #jamaica #cuba #caymanislands #shaking #Quake pic.twitter.com/fulM7PY2Fm
— WX-EatonvilleWA (@EatonvilleWAWX) January 28, 2020
440 miles away from the epicenter, people in Miami also felt the shocks. One twitter user shared this video, showing her light fixtures swaying from the aftershocks.
There was just a 7.3 magnitude earth quake in Jamaica.
In my apt in Miami – this just happened.
Could feel the whole building swaying.
— Nunya Bizniz (@Pladizow) January 28, 2020
Featured photo by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees