This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express International Airline Program now offers travelers the ability to book discounted premium cabin tickets directly via online chat.
The discount program has existed for some time, originally as a buy-one-get-one-free deal for full-fare first and business class tickets. More than a year ago, Amex revised and expanded the program to instead offer discounted rates on 1-8 first, business and premium economy class tickets. However, the fares could only be booked by calling in to the Amex concierge desk, which was frustrating for travelers who simply wanted to research availability and pricing.
Amex still doesn’t offer travelers the ability to book discounted fares directly through the booking platform itself, but the online chat option is a convenient upgrade for busy travelers. There’s a $39 service fee per ticket, which is waived for Centurion card holders, and the discount only applies to travel that originates and returns to US airports for the most part. Certain Canadian airports are included, and select airline partners allow one-way travel.
As always, Amex members can use Membership Rewards “Pay with Points” to pay for the cost of the ticket while still earning miles from the 20+ participating airlines. Personal card holders earn 5x Membership Rewards points when booking revenue fares through this program, while card holders who pay with the Business Platinum® Card from American Express will receive a 35% rebate in points for booking first and business class flights for their selected airline, up to 500,000 points per year.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees