This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express International Airline Program now offers travelers the ability to book discounted premium cabin tickets directly via online chat.
The discount program has existed for some time, originally as a buy-one-get-one-free deal for full-fare first and business class tickets. More than a year ago, Amex revised and expanded the program to instead offer discounted rates on 1-8 first, business and premium economy class tickets. However, the fares could only be booked by calling in to the Amex concierge desk, which was frustrating for travelers who simply wanted to research availability and pricing.
Amex still doesn’t offer travelers the ability to book discounted fares directly through the booking platform itself, but the online chat option is a convenient upgrade for busy travelers. There’s a $39 service fee per ticket, which is waived for Centurion card holders, and the discount only applies to travel that originates and returns to US airports for the most part. Certain Canadian airports are included, and select airline partners allow one-way travel.
As always, Amex members can use Membership Rewards “Pay with Points” to pay for the cost of the ticket while still earning miles from the 20+ participating airlines. Personal card holders earn 5x Membership Rewards points when booking revenue fares through this program, while card holders who pay with the Business Platinum® Card from American Express will receive a 35% rebate in points for booking first and business class flights for their selected airline, up to 500,000 points per year.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees