Earn More MQMs and Bonus Delta Miles Through Credit Card Spend (Targeted)
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta and American Express are targeting some holders of their co-branded cards with an opportunity to earn additional MQMs toward status. Traditionally, cardholders of the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express and the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express can earn bonus Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) after meeting thresholds up to $50,000 or $60,000, respectively. However, with these targeted offers, select cardholders can earn even more MQMs and bonus miles after reaching an additional spending threshold. These offers are subject to change at anytime.
One TPG reader, a cardholder of the Platinum Delta Amex, wrote in that he was targeted to earn an additional 10,000 MQMs and 10,000 bonus miles after spending $75,000. The card typically offers bonus MQM and mileage earning, but only for a maximum of 20,000 MQMs and 20,000 bonus miles. With this offer, however, Amex and Delta are offering a total of 30,000 MQMs and 30,000 bonus miles.
Not only are Platinum Delta Amex cardholders being targeted for bonus MQMs and bonus miles, but also those who hold the Delta Reserve Card. The card normally earns cardholders 15,000 MQMs and 15,000 bonus miles after spending $30,000 in a calendar year, and another 15,000 of each after spending $60,000. However, those who were targeted for the promotion can earn an additional 15,000 MQMs and 15,000 bonus miles after spending $90,000 — a grand total of 45,000 MQMs and 45,000 bonus miles.
For those who were targeted, the promotion has already been added to your card — there’s no need to register. The terms and conditions state that this offer is just for 2018 and may be discontinued at any time.
Back in September 2017, Delta announced that it was going to increase the co-branded card spend needed to meet the Diamond Medallion Qualifying Dollar (MQD) waiver from $25,000 to $250,000. So, presumably, flyers have been less willing to put spend on their co-brand Delta Amex cards with the goal of working toward status. While these bonus miles and MQM offers are nice, you’ll still need to put a significant amount of money on your card in order to meet the MQD requirement — that is, if you don’t spend the money directly with Delta.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express is offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after spending $1,000 in the first three months. In addition, you can earn a $100 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months. There’s an annual fee of $195.
Featured image by Ramin Talaie/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.