Boeing Has Flown Nearly 500 Test Flights With New Software Fix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has conducted nearly 500 Boeing 737 MAX test flights to evaluate the latest software update that the jetmaker hopes will allow the plane to fly again.
That’s according to Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg, who spoke Monday at the Global Business Travel Association conference in Chicago.
Muilenburg said he had personally flown on two of those test flights. He also reiterated that the company has much work to do if it is to win back the confidence of travelers.
“We know that trust has been damaged over the last few months, and we own that and we are working hard to re-earn that trust going forward,” Muilenburg said in an interview to CNBC on the sidelines of the conference.
Boeing’s troubled MAX jets have been grounded since March, following the second of a pair of crashes that – combined – killed 346 people.
Muilenburg said Boeing still expects to seek recertification for the jet from the Federal Aviation Administration in September, a move the company hopes will clear the plane to begin flying by the end of the year.
Still, even with that timeline, it remains unclear how soon the jet could return the service for airlines. At least two North American airlines – Southwest and Air Canada – have now removed the jets from their schedules through early January.
Featured image by Ben Mutzabaugh/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.