Boeing Has Flown Nearly 500 Test Flights With New Software Fix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has conducted nearly 500 Boeing 737 MAX test flights to evaluate the latest software update that the jetmaker hopes will allow the plane to fly again.
That’s according to Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg, who spoke Monday at the Global Business Travel Association conference in Chicago.
Muilenburg said he had personally flown on two of those test flights. He also reiterated that the company has much work to do if it is to win back the confidence of travelers.
“We know that trust has been damaged over the last few months, and we own that and we are working hard to re-earn that trust going forward,” Muilenburg said in an interview to CNBC on the sidelines of the conference.
Boeing’s troubled MAX jets have been grounded since March, following the second of a pair of crashes that – combined – killed 346 people.
Muilenburg said Boeing still expects to seek recertification for the jet from the Federal Aviation Administration in September, a move the company hopes will clear the plane to begin flying by the end of the year.
Still, even with that timeline, it remains unclear how soon the jet could return the service for airlines. At least two North American airlines – Southwest and Air Canada – have now removed the jets from their schedules through early January.
Featured image by Ben Mutzabaugh/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.