This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has finalized a deal to buy a majority stake in Brazilian plane maker Embraer’s commercial operations for $4.2 billion, the companies announced on Monday.
Embraer manufactures workhorse regional jets like the E-175 and E-190. According to the deal, Chicago-based Boeing will buy an 80% stake of Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services and take over operational and management control of those sectors. Embraer will keep the remaining 20% stake, as well as consent rights for some decisions, which would include moving any of the operations from Brazil.
Plans for the joint venture were originally announced in July, along with some of the terms of the agreement. Monday was the first time the terms — including the price tag — had been finalized by both companies. Boeing’s payment of $4.2 billion for an 80% stake values Embraer’s total commercial division at $5.26 billion. That’s 11% more expensive than the total division’s valuation when the plans were first announced, which was estimated at $4.75 billion.
Embraer’s main competitor, Canadian plane builder Bombardier, struck a similar deal earlier this year with Airbus, selling off its C-Series program to the Boeing rival.
The deal still needs approval from the Brazilian government, though the country’s new president Jair Bolsonaro has reportedly said he would be “OK” with a joint venture between the two aircraft manufacturers, Reuters reported back in October. After getting the official go-ahead from the government, the agreement will need approval from shareholders and other regulators.
Assuming the approvals come in a timely manner, Boeing said in its announcement, the deal is expected to close by the end of 2019.
Featured image by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that