Boeing 737 MAX 9 Will Make South Pacific Journeys With Samoa Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the Lion Air 737 MAX crash still fresh on the mind of the aviation industry at large, a carrier based thousands of miles away from Boeing’s headquarters is planning to start flying a 737 MAX 9 of its own later this year. Samoa Airways, the flag carrier airline of Samoa, will replace its lone jetliner (a 737-800) with a sparkling new 737 MAX 9. The aircraft will feature two CFM LEAP-1B27 engines and is scheduled to deliver in Spring 2019 from Air Lease Corporation.
Matthew Stevens, Assistant Vice President of Air Lease Corporation, noted that this “will be the first new Boeing 737 MAX 9 in the South Pacific region and will operate a frequent schedule from Samoa to Australia and New Zealand.” Per a release from the carrier, the airplane will feature “the new Boeing Sky Interior, highlighted by modern sculpted sidewalls and window reveals, LED lighting that enhances the sense of spaciousness and larger overhead stowage bins.”
It’ll be configured with 16 business class seats and 173 seats in economy, and will operate between Apia, Auckland, Sydney and Brisbane. That’s a huge upgrade over the airline’s three other aircraft, De Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Twin Otters, which hold 19 passengers in economy while making the brief jump between Samoa and American Samoa.
Samoa Airways isn’t part of a larger alliance, so there aren’t any mileage earning/redeeming possibilities here. Based on our research, it doesn’t appear that the airline is marketing any of its long-haul international tickets as operating on the new aircraft, but we suspect transitions will occur shortly after delivery.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Featured image courtesy of Samoa Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees