Boeing 737 MAX 9 Will Make South Pacific Journeys With Samoa Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the Lion Air 737 MAX crash still fresh on the mind of the aviation industry at large, a carrier based thousands of miles away from Boeing’s headquarters is planning to start flying a 737 MAX 9 of its own later this year. Samoa Airways, the flag carrier airline of Samoa, will replace its lone jetliner (a 737-800) with a sparkling new 737 MAX 9. The aircraft will feature two CFM LEAP-1B27 engines and is scheduled to deliver in Spring 2019 from Air Lease Corporation.
Matthew Stevens, Assistant Vice President of Air Lease Corporation, noted that this “will be the first new Boeing 737 MAX 9 in the South Pacific region and will operate a frequent schedule from Samoa to Australia and New Zealand.” Per a release from the carrier, the airplane will feature “the new Boeing Sky Interior, highlighted by modern sculpted sidewalls and window reveals, LED lighting that enhances the sense of spaciousness and larger overhead stowage bins.”
It’ll be configured with 16 business class seats and 173 seats in economy, and will operate between Apia, Auckland, Sydney and Brisbane. That’s a huge upgrade over the airline’s three other aircraft, De Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Twin Otters, which hold 19 passengers in economy while making the brief jump between Samoa and American Samoa.
Samoa Airways isn’t part of a larger alliance, so there aren’t any mileage earning/redeeming possibilities here. Based on our research, it doesn’t appear that the airline is marketing any of its long-haul international tickets as operating on the new aircraft, but we suspect transitions will occur shortly after delivery.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Featured image courtesy of Samoa Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.