This $20K Lunch in a Hidden Ice Cave Includes a Helicopter Ride, Krug and Caviar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, you can dine in a secret burger bar inside a hotel kitchen, or have a lavish lunch at an underwater restaurant in the Maldives. But when it comes to exclusive dining experiences, the Blue Room in Whistler might just be the coolest yet.
Launched in November, the Blue Room gives a few lucky diners the chance to savor a sumptuous lunch in an ice cave hidden under a floor of frozen water in the rugged mountains of British Columbia. The experience starts with a helicopter ride over Canada’s southernmost ice field, where you’ll be able to take in views of alpine forests and rocky volcanic peaks.
Upon arrival at the undisclosed location, you’ll be greeted with a flute of Krug Champagne, and a guide will take you into the cave and through a labyrinth of chambers before you sit down to the decadent — and very expensive — lunch.
With a setting so spectacular, the food had better be top-notch. So naturally, the five-course meal includes Northern Divine caviar served on snow, oysters from Vancouver Island, pumpkin and truffle soup, grilled “long bone” ribeye with roasted root vegetables and warm dark chocolate pudding with spiced clementine and Chantilly cream.
“As far as we understand, this is the only experience where people can dine inside an ice cave,” Doug Washer, CEO of the luxury travel experiences company responsible for the Blue Room, Head-Line Mountain Holidays, told TPG.
So how can you get in on this incredible experience? The Blue Room is a private dining experience by the Four Seasons Whistler Resort & Residences in partnership with Head-Line Mountain Holidays (the company also offers helicopter excursions to ice caves and hot springs around British Columbia).
The experience starts at a cool $20,000 for two people — just $10,000 per person! — and the menu can be customized to accommodate your dietary restrictions or preferences. The Four Seasons’ executive sous chef, David Baarschers, is responsible for the culinary portion of the experience.
If the price tag seems exorbitant for lunch, you may want to think about it as a charitable donation instead. Your five-course meal in an ice cave will be contributing to Head-Line’s “White is Green” Ice Cap Research Initiative, which helps support research projects by Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.
“The project has been in the works for years, and we have always wanted to accomplish an experience like this. However this year is the first year we launched the product offering in conjunction with Whistler’s Cornucopia [food and wine festival] and in partnership with the Four Seasons,” Washer said.
Reservations can be made through the Four Seasons Whistler’s concierge or by calling 604-902-6415. The Blue Room can be “reserved” for lunch indefinitely, but the experience is weather dependent.
Featured photo courtesy of Head-Line Mountain Holidays
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.