This $20K Lunch in a Hidden Ice Cave Includes a Helicopter Ride, Krug and Caviar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, you can dine in a secret burger bar inside a hotel kitchen, or have a lavish lunch at an underwater restaurant in the Maldives. But when it comes to exclusive dining experiences, the Blue Room in Whistler might just be the coolest yet.
Launched in November, the Blue Room gives a few lucky diners the chance to savor a sumptuous lunch in an ice cave hidden under a floor of frozen water in the rugged mountains of British Columbia. The experience starts with a helicopter ride over Canada’s southernmost ice field, where you’ll be able to take in views of alpine forests and rocky volcanic peaks.
Upon arrival at the undisclosed location, you’ll be greeted with a flute of Krug Champagne, and a guide will take you into the cave and through a labyrinth of chambers before you sit down to the decadent — and very expensive — lunch.
With a setting so spectacular, the food had better be top-notch. So naturally, the five-course meal includes Northern Divine caviar served on snow, oysters from Vancouver Island, pumpkin and truffle soup, grilled “long bone” ribeye with roasted root vegetables and warm dark chocolate pudding with spiced clementine and Chantilly cream.
“As far as we understand, this is the only experience where people can dine inside an ice cave,” Doug Washer, CEO of the luxury travel experiences company responsible for the Blue Room, Head-Line Mountain Holidays, told TPG.
So how can you get in on this incredible experience? The Blue Room is a private dining experience by the Four Seasons Whistler Resort & Residences in partnership with Head-Line Mountain Holidays (the company also offers helicopter excursions to ice caves and hot springs around British Columbia).
The experience starts at a cool $20,000 for two people — just $10,000 per person! — and the menu can be customized to accommodate your dietary restrictions or preferences. The Four Seasons’ executive sous chef, David Baarschers, is responsible for the culinary portion of the experience.
If the price tag seems exorbitant for lunch, you may want to think about it as a charitable donation instead. Your five-course meal in an ice cave will be contributing to Head-Line’s “White is Green” Ice Cap Research Initiative, which helps support research projects by Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.
“The project has been in the works for years, and we have always wanted to accomplish an experience like this. However this year is the first year we launched the product offering in conjunction with Whistler’s Cornucopia [food and wine festival] and in partnership with the Four Seasons,” Washer said.
Reservations can be made through the Four Seasons Whistler’s concierge or by calling 604-902-6415. The Blue Room can be “reserved” for lunch indefinitely, but the experience is weather dependent.
Featured photo courtesy of Head-Line Mountain Holidays
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees