Stop the presses: A Blockbuster pop-up just opened in New York City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Stop what you’re doing, because Blockbuster just opened a pop-up in New York City.
(We’ll let that sink in for a minute.)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Everyone’s favorite video rental store from the 1990s is back in action … at least for the next week. From Dec. 6 to Dec. 15, lifestyle and streetwear brand Dumbgood will revive the beloved destination for VHS, DVD and video game rentals at an event in the Big Apple. While there won’t be any actual videotapes available, there will be T-shirts, sweatshirts, backpacks, coffee mugs and totes galore. The totes even say “Be Kind, Rewind” — words to live by.
If you weren’t excited already, there will also be an assortment of merchandise from some of your favorite 90s shows and movies, including “Cruel Intentions,” “Titanic,” “Seinfeld” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” Prices of merchandise range from $12 to $368. Happy hunting, Sebastian.
We’re guessing the aesthetic will look familiar, because the pop-up is designed to mimic your favorite childhood store. So, get ready for all the nostalgia your Claire’s-loving heart can handle. The pop-up will be open at 13 Crosby St. from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. There’s also an online collection if you can’t make it to New York City.
While this pop-up will only be around for a week, we do have some good news: Blockbuster is not entirely extinct. In fact, there’s one franchise store left in the world — and it’s in Bend, Oregon. Sounds like a trip to Oregon is in order, right? You’ll want to read this guide on how to use Google Flights first, though. That way, you can save your money to stock up on all the copies of “Drake & Josh” you’ve ever wanted.
Blockbuster, once the pinnacle of video rentals, has been decimated by streaming services such as Amazon and Netflix in recent years. If that’s more your speed, or you want to watch a movie without leaving the comfort of your bed (we get it), you’ll want to brush up and make sure you have one of the best cards for streaming services on hand.
Featured image courtesy of Scott Olson/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees