This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
BLADE, the upscale, on-demand helicopter service taking people from New York to the city’s summer playground in the Hamptons, is offering passengers a cheaper alternative.
Set to launch on June 22, Montauk Sky will take you to and from Teterboro, New Jersey and Montauk on a Cessna Grand Caravan for $690 round-trip or $345 one way. A BLADE helicopter may be appealing for those with deep pockets and a desire to avoid the inevitable Long Island weekend traffic, but with a steep price of $795 one-way, this option is not exactly affordable.
BLADE Chief Executive Rob Wiesenthal described the Cessna as an option based on “rugged practicality” and a different experience from what people would get on BLADE. Instead of rosé in sippy cups, Montauk Sky riders will be introduced to a more relaxed feel with bags of chips, beer, and music.
“Our idea is we think people should feel that this is not a huge extravagance to do this,” Wiesenthal said.
The difference is also in the mode of transport: BLADE will take you from a Manhattan heliport, but Montauk Sky flies from Teterboro on an airplane — the Grand Caravan is a turboprop, noted for its ruggedness and often employed in remote areas thanks to its ability to carry lots of cargo in a big hold under its belly. You’ll have to get yourself to Teterboro airport (TEB), which can take up to two hours from Manhattan depending on traffic.
Montauk Sky wants to attract people between the ages of 21 and 40 looking to get away for a weekend, Wiesenthal said.
“It’s really about opening this up to people who didn’t find it in their budget to fly BLADE, but also didn’t want to handle a four and a half hour drive to Montauk,” he said.
The operation gets its name from two brothers in the US Air Force during WWII who used to fly fresh lobsters from Montauk to Manhattan in the 1940s — discreetly, because the mob had a lock on seafood distribution in the city. Their business came to an end when President Truman decommissioned the Air Force base in Montauk at the end of the war.
If you’re wondering if Montauk Sky is the right choice for you, we put together a table to see how the cost and time of other popular modes of transportation to the Hamptons compare. Keep in mind that time when traveling by automobile or Jitney is dependent on traffic.
|Montauk Sky||Uber/Lyft||LIRR Cannonball Train||Hampton Jitney||Car|
|Time||40 minutes, plus drive from the city||~ 2-4 hours||1.5 hours||3-4 hours||~ 2-4 hours|
|Cost||$690 round-trip||$300 – 600 one-way|| ~ $94 roundtrip
|$23-33 depending where you depart from||Dependent on gas/mile and tolls.|
While TPG readers are able to score BLADE credits, that option is not available for Montauk Sky. For BLADE, however, click here and enter referral code THEPOINTSGUY (case sensitive). You’ll earn $100 in credit (which is applied in $50 increments) to use towards BLADE flights.
Featured image courtesy of Montauk Sky.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees