BLADE Is Offering a Cheaper Alternative to Fly to Montauk
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
BLADE, the upscale, on-demand helicopter service taking people from New York to the city’s summer playground in the Hamptons, is offering passengers a cheaper alternative.
Set to launch on June 22, Montauk Sky will take you to and from Teterboro, New Jersey and Montauk on a Cessna Grand Caravan for $690 round-trip or $345 one way. A BLADE helicopter may be appealing for those with deep pockets and a desire to avoid the inevitable Long Island weekend traffic, but with a steep price of $795 one-way, this option is not exactly affordable.
BLADE Chief Executive Rob Wiesenthal described the Cessna as an option based on “rugged practicality” and a different experience from what people would get on BLADE. Instead of rosé in sippy cups, Montauk Sky riders will be introduced to a more relaxed feel with bags of chips, beer, and music.
“Our idea is we think people should feel that this is not a huge extravagance to do this,” Wiesenthal said.
The difference is also in the mode of transport: BLADE will take you from a Manhattan heliport, but Montauk Sky flies from Teterboro on an airplane — the Grand Caravan is a turboprop, noted for its ruggedness and often employed in remote areas thanks to its ability to carry lots of cargo in a big hold under its belly. You’ll have to get yourself to Teterboro airport (TEB), which can take up to two hours from Manhattan depending on traffic.
Montauk Sky wants to attract people between the ages of 21 and 40 looking to get away for a weekend, Wiesenthal said.
“It’s really about opening this up to people who didn’t find it in their budget to fly BLADE, but also didn’t want to handle a four and a half hour drive to Montauk,” he said.
The operation gets its name from two brothers in the US Air Force during WWII who used to fly fresh lobsters from Montauk to Manhattan in the 1940s — discreetly, because the mob had a lock on seafood distribution in the city. Their business came to an end when President Truman decommissioned the Air Force base in Montauk at the end of the war.
If you’re wondering if Montauk Sky is the right choice for you, we put together a table to see how the cost and time of other popular modes of transportation to the Hamptons compare. Keep in mind that time when traveling by automobile or Jitney is dependent on traffic.
|Montauk Sky||Uber/Lyft||LIRR Cannonball Train||Hampton Jitney||Car|
|Time||40 minutes, plus drive from the city||~ 2-4 hours||1.5 hours||3-4 hours||~ 2-4 hours|
|Cost||$690 round-trip||$300 – 600 one-way|| ~ $94 roundtrip
|$23-33 depending where you depart from||Dependent on gas/mile and tolls.|
While TPG readers are able to score BLADE credits, that option is not available for Montauk Sky. For BLADE, however, click here and enter referral code THEPOINTSGUY (case sensitive). You’ll earn $100 in credit (which is applied in $50 increments) to use towards BLADE flights.
Featured image courtesy of Montauk Sky.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.