You Can Stay in the Glass Cube From ‘Black Mirror’ for Your Next Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most people who watch the sci-fi television series “Black Mirror” can generally agree on a few things. Mainly that, even though the technology introduced in the Netflix show seems pretty cool, these worlds aren’t really places you’d want to live. Especially if it’s the “Metalhead” universe. Or the “Fifteen Million Merits” one, for that matter.
But if you happen to disagree — or just maybe have a streak of morbid curiosity — the glass box apartment from Season 5, Episode 2, called “Smithereens,” is currently on the market for vacation rentals.
To jog your memory (or spoil an episode for you if you’ve yet to tune in) the aforementioned glass box was the setting in which Topher Grace’s character, a social media app creator named Billy Bauer, took a 10-day silent retreat. And despite it being the setting for a pretty dark scene, the house is undeniably stunning.
Travel + Leisure reported that the house, officially known as the La Casa del Desierto, was built by North American company Guardian Glass as a means of showcasing “the power of its glass product.” The company claims the structure can withstand a wide array of natural forces, including oppressive desert climates.
Located in Granada, Spain, although you could be forgiven for thinking it was the state of Utah by looking at the photo, the remote 215-square-foot apartment features one bedroom, one bathroom and a living room. It’s also entirely solar-powered.
Despite being an optimal setting for a silent retreat, the rental space is only a 15-minute drive from the village of Gorafe, which is known for its cave dwellings and prehistoric dolmens, or burial chambers. So if things start to get too quiet in your private glass box, you can at least check out the historic surroundings. The house is currently available to rent for up to two people for a minimum of two days at 150 euros ($169) a night.
But don’t reach for your Chase Sapphire Reserve to get those 3x points just yet, since Guardian Glass isn’t a hotel or travel company and the purchase may not code as travel. Instead, charge your stay at the glass company’s vacation rental on a great card for everyday spending — or maybe even one of our favorite credit cards for home improvement.
And if you have no idea what “Black Mirror” is or why we’re talking about it, get ready for a Netflix binge. Just don’t forget to use one of these cards to pay for it.
Featured image courtesy of Netflix.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees