Comedian Billy Eichner Has a Clever Hack for Calming Nerves During Turbulence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Billy Eichner, a comedian and actor best known for screaming at people on the streets of New York City on his show “Billy on the Street,” recently did an interview with the New York Times about his travel habits. As it turns out, Eichner had a trick up his sleeve to combat the uneasy feeling some get from turbulence.
Although Eichner travels somewhat frequently, mentioning that he makes long weekend trips throughout the year and typically a longer getaway once a year, he still gets anxious about plane turbulence. Since there’s not much a passenger can do about turbulence, he shared with the Times just how he settles himself while on board.
“I don’t deal well with turbulence,” Eichner told the Times. “If I can be on Twitter or Instagram and somehow be connected to people on the ground, that helps me not focus on the turbulence of the plane.”
Seemingly, being on social media is both a distraction and a means to feel not so disconnected while Eichner is up in the air. It makes sense that it would help to feel that extra sense of connection while flying — that is, so long as the wifi connection is decent.
“My most recent flight from New York to L.A. last week, the Wi-Fi stopped working 20 minutes into the flight and never started up again. That drove me crazy,” said Eichner in the interview.
While this tip works for Eichner, there are a few other options to help travelers feel comfortable on board. In fact, there are several apps that are dedicated to helping to calm the nerves of flyers beyond Instagram and Twitter.
Also in the interview, Eichner talks about his preference to check as opposed to carrying on (he checks), the destinations on his bucket list (he’s never been to Paris, Italy or Tokyo), being “scared of Airbnb”, the greatest pool he’s ever been to, and his candid viewpoints on flying JetBlue (“good restaurants, long walk to the terminal, spotty Wi-Fi”) and Delta (“best food, longest walk, Wi-Fi on par with American”) out of LA and NYC.
H/T: New York Times
Featured image by Chelsea Guglielmino/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees