8 more at-home COVID-19 tests are available from the government, but they can’t be used for travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Americans can order up to eight at-home rapid COVID-19 tests per household at no cost as of this week, marking the third test rollout from the U.S. government.
Unfortunately, these tests don’t meet the requirements outlined by most travel entities and countries with travel restrictions. However, you can use the tests for peace of mind and convenience purposes before your trip.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To order these tests, go to covid.gov/tests and click on “Order Free At-Home Tests,” as illustrated below.
From there, enter your contact and shipping information, before selecting “Check Out Now.”
Upon placing your order, you should receive a confirmation via email from the United States Postal Service. The email will explain that the eight tests will be mailed in two packages of four tests, so be sure to look out for confirmation and tracking details related to each package. This process takes a matter of minutes.
If you haven’t ordered tests from the U.S. government before, you can submit up to three orders per household, since this is the third opportunity to obtain free tests via the government. This will give you a total of 16 tests.
The White House initially distributed 500 million tests on Jan. 14, declaring that families were eligible to order up to four at-home tests in both January and February.
These tests are not suitable to use when traveling to countries that require incoming passengers to submit negative predeparture tests. Instead, these tests from the government can be used for peace of mind — such as in the days leading up to a big trip.
Travelers can use other at-home tests to fulfill a country’s testing requirements. There are a variety of at-home proctored tests available for travelers, including Abbott’s BinaxNow COVID-19 Home Test and Ellume’s COVID-19 Home Test.
Be sure to consult COVID-19 entry and exit rules for specific countries, as outlined by the U.S. Embassy and other government officials.
Featured photo by Angus Mordant/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees