Why now is the best time to renew or apply for a passport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We know you have your sights set on some pretty cool travel destinations this year, and we know you’re excited to get going. But before you start packing your bags and arranging your dinner reservations, do yourself a favor and make sure all your ducks are in a row.
After all, is there anything worse than realizing your passport is about to expire — or worse, already expired — just days before a trip?
No one likes scrambling to get a passport renewed at the last minute, and spending a full day in line at the closest passport center is one way to really put a damper on your vacation.
The good news, though, is that now may be the best time to renew your old passport, or apply for a new one. Why, you ask? Because, according to the State Department, demand is much lower than usual.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“If you’re a frequent [flyer] who doesn’t like waiting for your new passport, consider applying this winter to minimize downtime,” the State Department explained on Twitter. “Longer demand [equals] faster processing times,” they added.
Processing wait times usually last between six and eight weeks, according to the State Department’s website. And expedited processing may still take between two and three weeks. Going to a passport agency may cut the wait down to eight days, although some restrictions apply. And, of course, you can always sweat it out for a same-day renewal if you have imminent travel plans.
While we’re on the subject, you’ll also want to make sure you’re not making any of these common passport mistakes that could leave you stranded at the border. Of course, you need valid travel documents any time you leave the country. But it’s also a good idea to make sure you’re taking advantage of all the programs that can make your journey a bit easier.
For example, a Clear membership can save you a ton of time — and spare you a lot of stress — at the airport. With it, you’ll be on your way to the lounge before you can blink. The normal rate for Clear membership is $179 per year. TPG readers, however, can use the promo code TPG149 to get a discounted membership for $149 for the first year, or can use the promo code TPG2M to get a two-month free trial membership. If you’re a Delta SkyMiles member or an elite, you can also get special pricing (read: discounts).
If you travel internationally frequently, you’ll definitely want to make sure you have a Global Entry membership in your back pocket. With it, you can clear U.S. Customs in minutes (and wave to all the people stuck on those enormous lines in the process). Better yet, depending on which credit card you have, you might be able to have it covered via a statement credit. The Chase Sapphire Reserve, The Platinum Card® from American Express and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, just to name a few, all offer this benefit.
Have you applied for or renewed a passport this winter and received your passport faster than expected? Sound off in the comments below and let us know!
Featured image courtesy of Tetra Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees