This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony earlier this month was an incredible evening. From the perfect setting onboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum to the special awards given to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee to Bebe Rexha’s fantastic performance, it was a great way to celebrate everything that TPG and our readers love: credit cards, loyalty and rewards programs.
With 13 awards handed out solely based on reader votes, there were bound to be some winners from the full list of honorees with whom you agreed and others that (from your perspective) may have been undeserving. After all, the term “best” can be a relative one, so your favorite card, airline or hotel chain may have come up short in one or more of the award categories. However, we’re pulling the curtain back a bit to provide some additional details on the finalists for each award so you can see exactly how TPG readers voted.
Here’s the list of nominees for best airline promotion in order of the number of votes they received:
- Delta SkyMiles award sales
- Singapore Airlines discounted award flights
- Buy Alaska miles with a 40% bonus
- Iberia’s 90,000 Avios promotion
- Buy LifeMiles with 125% bonus
While the most hyped promotion of 2018 was (without a doubt) the Iberia offer of up to 90,000 Avios back in the spring, when it came time to vote, TPG readers clearly preferred the array of award sales offered by Delta SkyMiles. These were too numerous to list here but included domestic awards for 10,000 miles (one that was repeated multiple times), Hawaii for 33,000 miles and Australia for 50,000 miles. Of course, it’s not exactly correct to refer to these as “sales” when there’s no published award chart. After all, how do you determine something is discounted if you don’t know the regular cost? Nevertheless, these sales received nearly twice as many votes as the nearest competitor, proving that Delta still has a strong following in the frequent traveler community.
It’s worth noting that the carrier has continued to offer these discounts since voting closed, but we’ve seen other specials from carriers like American as well. Only time will tell if Delta can take home this award again next year.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees