How TPG Readers Ranked the Best Airline Promotions of the Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony earlier this month was an incredible evening. From the perfect setting onboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum to the special awards given to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee to Bebe Rexha’s fantastic performance, it was a great way to celebrate everything that TPG and our readers love: credit cards, loyalty and rewards programs.
With 13 awards handed out solely based on reader votes, there were bound to be some winners from the full list of honorees with whom you agreed and others that (from your perspective) may have been undeserving. After all, the term “best” can be a relative one, so your favorite card, airline or hotel chain may have come up short in one or more of the award categories. However, we’re pulling the curtain back a bit to provide some additional details on the finalists for each award so you can see exactly how TPG readers voted.
Here’s the list of nominees for best airline promotion in order of the number of votes they received:
- Delta SkyMiles award sales
- Singapore Airlines discounted award flights
- Buy Alaska miles with a 40% bonus
- Iberia’s 90,000 Avios promotion
- Buy LifeMiles with 125% bonus
While the most hyped promotion of 2018 was (without a doubt) the Iberia offer of up to 90,000 Avios back in the spring, when it came time to vote, TPG readers clearly preferred the array of award sales offered by Delta SkyMiles. These were too numerous to list here but included domestic awards for 10,000 miles (one that was repeated multiple times), Hawaii for 33,000 miles and Australia for 50,000 miles. Of course, it’s not exactly correct to refer to these as “sales” when there’s no published award chart. After all, how do you determine something is discounted if you don’t know the regular cost? Nevertheless, these sales received nearly twice as many votes as the nearest competitor, proving that Delta still has a strong following in the frequent traveler community.
It’s worth noting that the carrier has continued to offer these discounts since voting closed, but we’ve seen other specials from carriers like American as well. Only time will tell if Delta can take home this award again next year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees