How TPG Readers Ranked the Best Airline Promotions of the Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony earlier this month was an incredible evening. From the perfect setting onboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum to the special awards given to Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leymah Gbowee to Bebe Rexha’s fantastic performance, it was a great way to celebrate everything that TPG and our readers love: credit cards, loyalty and rewards programs.
With 13 awards handed out solely based on reader votes, there were bound to be some winners from the full list of honorees with whom you agreed and others that (from your perspective) may have been undeserving. After all, the term “best” can be a relative one, so your favorite card, airline or hotel chain may have come up short in one or more of the award categories. However, we’re pulling the curtain back a bit to provide some additional details on the finalists for each award so you can see exactly how TPG readers voted.
Here’s the list of nominees for best airline promotion in order of the number of votes they received:
- Delta SkyMiles award sales
- Singapore Airlines discounted award flights
- Buy Alaska miles with a 40% bonus
- Iberia’s 90,000 Avios promotion
- Buy LifeMiles with 125% bonus
While the most hyped promotion of 2018 was (without a doubt) the Iberia offer of up to 90,000 Avios back in the spring, when it came time to vote, TPG readers clearly preferred the array of award sales offered by Delta SkyMiles. These were too numerous to list here but included domestic awards for 10,000 miles (one that was repeated multiple times), Hawaii for 33,000 miles and Australia for 50,000 miles. Of course, it’s not exactly correct to refer to these as “sales” when there’s no published award chart. After all, how do you determine something is discounted if you don’t know the regular cost? Nevertheless, these sales received nearly twice as many votes as the nearest competitor, proving that Delta still has a strong following in the frequent traveler community.
It’s worth noting that the carrier has continued to offer these discounts since voting closed, but we’ve seen other specials from carriers like American as well. Only time will tell if Delta can take home this award again next year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.