Berlin to Excavate World War II Bomb, Airspace Unaffected
On Friday, Berlin will begin excavating a recently discovered World War II bomb. All buildings within about a half-mile radius of the bomb will be evacuated Friday morning, including the city’s central train station, Economy Ministry, the Natural History Museum and part of a hospital.
Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), which authorities originally thought would be affected, will not have to evacuate, and flights will not be re-routed during the excavation.
Good news: The originally coordinated #Tegel flight plan for tomorrow can take place as planned. German Air Traffic Control (Deutsche Flugsicherung) and Berlin Airports have coordinated procedures that make this possible.
— Berlin Airport Service (@berlinairport) April 19, 2018
On Thursday, air traffic control authorities announced that usual takeoff and landing routes will not be affected, but a spokeswoman did say that airlines “may need to fly with greater separation between planes than usual during that time,” according to Reuters.
Construction workers discovered the 1,100-pound bomb during construction near Berlin’s central train station. It’s unclear how long the excavation will last.
It’s been more than 70 years since World War II ended, but Germany still finds more than 2,000 metric tons of live bombs and munitions every year. A police spokesman said, “we have a defusal on this scale around once or twice a year in Berlin.”
Berlin’s Tegel Airport was closed last August after a Russian-made bomb was found; flights into that airport were re-routed to Schoenefeld, the city’s other airport.
Police said on Twitter that there is no immediate danger from this bomb.
Featured image by golero / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees