This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, Berlin will begin excavating a recently discovered World War II bomb. All buildings within about a half-mile radius of the bomb will be evacuated Friday morning, including the city’s central train station, Economy Ministry, the Natural History Museum and part of a hospital.
Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), which authorities originally thought would be affected, will not have to evacuate, and flights will not be re-routed during the excavation.
Good news: The originally coordinated #Tegel flight plan for tomorrow can take place as planned. German Air Traffic Control (Deutsche Flugsicherung) and Berlin Airports have coordinated procedures that make this possible.
— Berlin Airport Service (@berlinairport) April 19, 2018
On Thursday, air traffic control authorities announced that usual takeoff and landing routes will not be affected, but a spokeswoman did say that airlines “may need to fly with greater separation between planes than usual during that time,” according to Reuters.
Construction workers discovered the 1,100-pound bomb during construction near Berlin’s central train station. It’s unclear how long the excavation will last.
It’s been more than 70 years since World War II ended, but Germany still finds more than 2,000 metric tons of live bombs and munitions every year. A police spokesman said, “we have a defusal on this scale around once or twice a year in Berlin.”
Berlin’s Tegel Airport was closed last August after a Russian-made bomb was found; flights into that airport were re-routed to Schoenefeld, the city’s other airport.
Police said on Twitter that there is no immediate danger from this bomb.
Featured image by golero / Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees