Berlin to Excavate World War II Bomb, Airspace Unaffected
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, Berlin will begin excavating a recently discovered World War II bomb. All buildings within about a half-mile radius of the bomb will be evacuated Friday morning, including the city’s central train station, Economy Ministry, the Natural History Museum and part of a hospital.
Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), which authorities originally thought would be affected, will not have to evacuate, and flights will not be re-routed during the excavation.
Good news: The originally coordinated #Tegel flight plan for tomorrow can take place as planned. German Air Traffic Control (Deutsche Flugsicherung) and Berlin Airports have coordinated procedures that make this possible.
— Berlin Airport Service (@berlinairport) April 19, 2018
On Thursday, air traffic control authorities announced that usual takeoff and landing routes will not be affected, but a spokeswoman did say that airlines “may need to fly with greater separation between planes than usual during that time,” according to Reuters.
Construction workers discovered the 1,100-pound bomb during construction near Berlin’s central train station. It’s unclear how long the excavation will last.
It’s been more than 70 years since World War II ended, but Germany still finds more than 2,000 metric tons of live bombs and munitions every year. A police spokesman said, “we have a defusal on this scale around once or twice a year in Berlin.”
Berlin’s Tegel Airport was closed last August after a Russian-made bomb was found; flights into that airport were re-routed to Schoenefeld, the city’s other airport.
Police said on Twitter that there is no immediate danger from this bomb.
Featured image by golero / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.