Belgrade Airport Shut Down for 7 Hours After EgyptAir Tire Burst
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgrade’s Nikola Tesla Airport (BEG) in Serbia was shut down for about seven hours Wednesday morning after a tire on an Egyptair aircraft burst upon landing.
The Boeing 737-800 aircraft landed at 4:11am local time, blocking the airport’s runway after the blown-out tire left it stuck in place. It took airport authorities seven hours to figure out how to remove the plane. During the closure, all incoming flights were diverted to nearby airports — most to Budapest, Hungary (BUD), or the Serbian city of Niš (INI), the AP reports. Flights resumed at Belgrade at 11:20am.
The aircraft, registered SU-GCO, was reportedly operating Egyptair Flight 3100 from Cairo (CAI) to Belgrade. Photos of the incident show the plane’s two tires on its right side were completely flattened.
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) September 12, 2018
The Belgrade tire burst follow several similar high-profile aircraft tire blowout incidents, including one on a private jet carrying rapper Post Malone and a landing in Peru with no front wheels that caused a shower of sparks.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees