Belgrade Airport Shut Down for 7 Hours After EgyptAir Tire Burst
Belgrade’s Nikola Tesla Airport (BEG) in Serbia was shut down for about seven hours Wednesday morning after a tire on an Egyptair aircraft burst upon landing.
The Boeing 737-800 aircraft landed at 4:11am local time, blocking the airport’s runway after the blown-out tire left it stuck in place. It took airport authorities seven hours to figure out how to remove the plane. During the closure, all incoming flights were diverted to nearby airports — most to Budapest, Hungary (BUD), or the Serbian city of Niš (INI), the AP reports. Flights resumed at Belgrade at 11:20am.
The aircraft, registered SU-GCO, was reportedly operating Egyptair Flight 3100 from Cairo (CAI) to Belgrade. Photos of the incident show the plane’s two tires on its right side were completely flattened.
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) September 12, 2018
The Belgrade tire burst follow several similar high-profile aircraft tire blowout incidents, including one on a private jet carrying rapper Post Malone and a landing in Peru with no front wheels that caused a shower of sparks.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.