The most special week in travel is right around the corner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A very special time of the year for travelers is right around the corner. And no, we’re not talking about Thanksgiving or Christmas. We’re talking about Barter Week, of course.
For those who aren’t familiar, Barter Week only happens once a year. During this seven-day stretch, from Nov. 18 to Nov. 24, you can stay in a handful of accommodations (largely inns and small bed and breakfasts) around the world in exchange for some requested services. Think: writing skills, English lessons, photography, even tango lessons — any skills you have that you can offer up in place of cash.
As the official Barter Week website says, “The more you have or you know, the more you can offer.”
Barter Week debuted in 2018 with approximately 600 participating from 60 countries, according to a statement. It was inspired by the Italian Barter Week, which has been returning once a year for more than a decade.
According to Lifehacker, the first thing you’ll want to do is browse the Barter Week website, check out some of the reviews and find a property that piques your interest. You can then review the host’s “barter wishes” which is essentially a list of goods and services they will accept in exchange for hospitality.
No matter what you want to barter, you’ll have to make your offer through the online form.
We saw this charming European-style hotel in New Orleans, only a few blocks from the French Quarter, where you can make your own offer. In North Wildwood, New Jersey, Wanda O’Brien is hoping a traveler will paint the exterior of her three-story Victorian bed and breakfast. Or head north to Montreal, Canada, where the owner of a bed and breakfast (Le Terra Nostra) is willing to exchange a free stay for a lesson in the arts.
After you make an offer, the host will either accept or reject your offer outright, or attempt to negotiate. Be prepared to haggle and, above all else, get ready to go! Just don’t forget to pack anything you might need with you to honor your agreement.
The only catch, of course, is that this special week only runs for one week, right before Thanksgiving. So, if you’ve been thinking of a last-minute getaway, now’s definitely the time. That said, however, many of the properties listed do accept bartering from guests year-round — you’ll just have to do a little research on the Barter Week site. (Il Borghetto, in Florence, Italy, is one such example.)
Because Barter Week’s origins can be traced to Italy, you’ll find the most options there; a whopping 407, to be exact. There are also 28 in the U.K., a dozen in Switzerland, 11 in the U.S., eight in South Africa and another eight in India. You can also search by city if your heart is set on a certain destination.
Would you trade your talents for a free stay? With so many options to choose from, you’re bound to find something that works for you.
Featured image by nicolamargaret /Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees