This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca Brasil remains on the rolls of Star Alliance even though it has not operated a passenger flight since May, when Brazilian aviation regulators grounded the failing carrier.
That will change in less than a month when what’s left of the Brazilian carrier exits Star on Sept. 1, the alliance said Monday.
“Initially joining Star Alliance in 2015, Avianca Brasil made important contributions to our customer proposition in the Brazilian market, and we regret this unfortunate development,” said Jeffrey Goh, CEO of Star, in a statement.
Avianca Brasil, formerly Ocean Air, is not to be confused with Colombia’s Avianca. While the airline shares a name with South America’s second largest carrier, it is a completely separate airline owned by Synergy Group. Synergy also owns a majority stake in Avianca.
Avianca, as well as Copa Airlines, will remain as Star’s two Latin American members when Avianca Brasil officially exits the alliance.
United Airlines, Star’s largest member, serves Rio de Janeiro Galeão (GIG) and São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) from the US. In addition, it codeshares with Azul, the third-largest carrier in Brazil, on a number of routes in the country.
Azul will launch a new shuttle between Brazil’s two most sought after city airports — Rio’s Santos Dumont (SDU) and São Paulo’s Congonhas (CGH) — with slots acquired through Avianca Brasil’s bankruptcy later this month.
Featured image by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees