British Airways temporarily suspends cargo carriage of dogs following crate incident
British Airways has temporarily suspended new bookings for its service that allows passengers to carry their dogs in the cargo hold. The suspension follows an incident where a dog was deemed to have travelled in a crate that was too small for it. The discovery was made upon landing at London Heathrow.
The airline confirmed to TPG that it’s investigating the incident in which the dog was discovered after the flight arrived. Neither the breed of the dog nor the size of the container were disclosed. BA did confirm there was no harm or injury to the dog when it arrived at LHR.
“We take the responsibility of transporting and caring for animals traveling with us extremely seriously,” British Airways said in a statement. “We have temporarily suspended bookings pending our investigation.”
Passengers who have already booked their canine to go in the cargo hold will be permitted to keep their pet’s reservation. The temporary suspension is just for new bookings.
According to British Airways, all canine cargo bookings are made with IAG Cargo, and the transport service can cost up to £700 (about $920) per pet. IAG, or International Airlines Group, is the owner of British Airways.
Pet owners supply the crates for their animals following IATA’s guidance on the size requirements for the animals. If booked through an agent, the agent supplies the crate for the pet.
BA is audited under IATA’s Operational Safety Audit program, which ensures the airline is following the organization’s welfare standards. Once a flight arrives at its destination, all animals are checked.
During the time when the IAG Cargo operation of pets in the cargo hold is suspended while the incident is undergoing investigation, passengers will have few other options aside from booking on another carrier. Assistance dogs are permitted in the cabin on British Airways flights, and emotional support dogs are allowed in the cabin on flights to or from the U.S.
There’s no timeline on when British Airways expects its investigation to conclude. Once it does, the suspension will be revisited.
Featured photo by Chalabala/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees