BA Flight Makes Emergency Landing After 'Electrical Burning' Smell in Cockpit
A British Airways flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Calgary (YYC) was forced to make an emergency landing in a small town in Nunavut in the far north of Canada,on Wednesday night, after fumes began to fill the cockpit.
The pilots at the helm of flight BA103 had to deploy their oxygen masks after a reported "electrical burning" smell emanated from the flight deck, according to Airlive. The flight declared an emergency and diverted to nearby Iqaluit Airport (YFB), where the pilots of the Boeing 787-9 executed a safe emergency landing just before 7:00pm local time.
On the air traffic control audio recording of the incident, the pilots can be heard using the aviation urgency signal "pan pan pan" when the smoky smell began to fill the cockpit.
Emergency crews reportedly swept the plane in search of a potential fire.
The Independent reports that paramedics were requested for at least one passenger on board. All the other passengers deplaned after the sick passenger was evacuated.
"Our highly trained flight crew diverted the aircraft as a precaution after a technical issue," a British Airways spokesperson told TPG in an emailed statement. "We're very sorry that our customers have been inconvenienced and delayed. Our cabin crew have been looking after them and we'll get them on to their final destination as quickly as we can. The safety of our customers and crew is always our top priority."