BA Flight Makes Emergency Landing After ‘Electrical Burning’ Smell in Cockpit
A British Airways flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Calgary (YYC) was forced to make an emergency landing in a small town in Nunavut in the far north of Canada,on Wednesday night, after fumes began to fill the cockpit.
The pilots at the helm of flight BA103 had to deploy their oxygen masks after a reported “electrical burning” smell emanated from the flight deck, according to Airlive. The flight declared an emergency and diverted to nearby Iqaluit Airport (YFB), where the pilots of the Boeing 787-9 executed a safe emergency landing just before 7:00pm local time.
On the air traffic control audio recording of the incident, the pilots can be heard using the aviation urgency signal “pan pan pan” when the smoky smell began to fill the cockpit.
Emergency crews reportedly swept the plane in search of a potential fire.
— Frank Reardon Photos (@FrankReardon1) September 13, 2018
The Independent reports that paramedics were requested for at least one passenger on board. All the other passengers deplaned after the sick passenger was evacuated.
“Our highly trained flight crew diverted the aircraft as a precaution after a technical issue,” a British Airways spokesperson told TPG in an emailed statement. “We’re very sorry that our customers have been inconvenienced and delayed. Our cabin crew have been looking after them and we’ll get them on to their final destination as quickly as we can. The safety of our customers and crew is always our top priority.”
Featured image by Jeff Garrish/ British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees