BA Flight Makes Emergency Landing After ‘Electrical Burning’ Smell in Cockpit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A British Airways flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Calgary (YYC) was forced to make an emergency landing in a small town in Nunavut in the far north of Canada,on Wednesday night, after fumes began to fill the cockpit.
The pilots at the helm of flight BA103 had to deploy their oxygen masks after a reported “electrical burning” smell emanated from the flight deck, according to Airlive. The flight declared an emergency and diverted to nearby Iqaluit Airport (YFB), where the pilots of the Boeing 787-9 executed a safe emergency landing just before 7:00pm local time.
On the air traffic control audio recording of the incident, the pilots can be heard using the aviation urgency signal “pan pan pan” when the smoky smell began to fill the cockpit.
Emergency crews reportedly swept the plane in search of a potential fire.
— Frank Reardon Photos (@FrankReardon1) September 13, 2018
The Independent reports that paramedics were requested for at least one passenger on board. All the other passengers deplaned after the sick passenger was evacuated.
“Our highly trained flight crew diverted the aircraft as a precaution after a technical issue,” a British Airways spokesperson told TPG in an emailed statement. “We’re very sorry that our customers have been inconvenienced and delayed. Our cabin crew have been looking after them and we’ll get them on to their final destination as quickly as we can. The safety of our customers and crew is always our top priority.”
Featured image by Jeff Garrish/ British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.