British Airways extends Executive Club tier status for some members through 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once again, British Airways is extending status for some of its Executive Club members, perhaps signaling a sign of further extensions across the industry as airlines continue to reward loyal customers by heeding the pandemic’s effect on travel into 2022.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In a press release issued on September 20, BA said it is automatically extending status for any tiered BA Executive Club members for another year, including those at the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels, with a Tier Point expiration date between January – March 2022. This is big news for these members who will automatically receive another year of their current status, regardless of how many Tier Points they have earned.
Today’s announcement follows a 12-month elite status extension in March 2021. Tier Point balances normally reset once a year based on when you joined the Executive Club, restarting members’ earnings for the following year.
BA awards Tier Points for BA and Oneworld partner flights based on a flight’s length and fare type. The longer the flight and higher the class flown, the quicker you earn BA status. Flights under 2,000 miles yield a minimum of five Tier Points, while first-class long-haul flights spanning more than 6,000 miles earn 360 Tier Points per sector.
Today’s news comes in addition to the reduced Tier Point thresholds which apply until June 2022., Members now only need to reach the below reduced amount of Tier Points to retain status for another year:
- Bronze: 225 Tier Points
- Silver: 450 Tier Points
- Gold: 1125 Tier Points
- Gold Guest List: 3,750 Tier Points
“We want to thank our customers for their continued loyalty,” Niall Rooney, the airline’s Loyalty Manager, said in a statement. “Many of our Executive Club Members haven’t had the chance to use their benefits as normal, by further extending their Tier Status, none of them will miss out on the amazing benefits they have earned.”
The status extension is in addition tonewly announced benefits for Executive Club members regarding access to airport lounges.
“All Silver and Gold Members, regardless of their cabin of travel can enjoy pre-flight dining, which is available at selected North American lounges, including New York JFK, Boston, Chicago and Washington,” BA said in a press release. “Meanwhile, the exclusive Concorde Room which is situated in Heathrow Terminal 5 and New York JFK only, will now be accessible to our exclusive Gold Guest List Members, regardless of how many Tier Points they earned in their previous Tier Point collection year.”
In February, BA announced a six-month extension of all Executive Club vouchers expiring before Dec. 31, 2021, following two previous extensions in March and October 2020, including Gold Upgrade vouchers and American Express Companion vouchers. Additionally, all Companion Voucher or Travel Together tickets earned between June 2020 and the end of December 2021 are further extended another six months.
Just last week, BA flew its first-ever carbon neutral passenger flight powered directly by sustainable aviation fuel on flight 1476 from London’s Heathrow (LHR) to Scottland’s Glasgow Airport (GLA), marking a 62% reduction in carbon emissions since 2010.
Featured image of a British Airways plane arriving at Heathrow Airport, London on Aug. 6, 2021 by Steve Parsons/PA Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees