British Airways Cancels London to Fort Lauderdale Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has closed reservations for its service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) as of Sept. 8, 2019.
The airline has been operating the service thrice weekly using a three-class Boeing 777 aircraft to the popular cruise ship departure point. This route operated for almost two years and was launched following low-cost, arch-rival Norwegian’s decision to fly the route.
Since then, Norwegian has moved its Gatwick service from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (MIA), where British Airways already has a strong presence as a Oneworld alliance hub.
“We regularly review our schedule to ensure that we are flying to destinations that are popular with our customers,” British Airways told TPG. “Through our partnership with American Airlines, we already fly 28 times a week to nearby Miami airport.”
The airline’s explanation suggests the route was not commercially viable.
If you’re booked on this service after September, British Airways should be contacting you to move you to a Miami (MIA) service, either operated by British Airways or American Airlines, which operates a hub at the popular Florida airport. Fort Lauderdale and Miami are a fairly short drive from each other, so passengers should not be significantly disrupted. British Airways remains a significant European carrier in Florida with its flights to Orlando and Tampa, as well as Miami (and the wider USA), though it is no longer the largest foreign airline in New York.
Featured image by Art Wagner / Gettys Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.